How do I import Blender exported .obj files with the materials intact?

Blender is an outstanding 3D modelling tool to use alongside Unity but my materials will get messed up like some are just plain white, some have inverted normals when ever I import the .obj files exported from Blender.

What is the 3D format that works best with Unity?

I tried .fbx but the 3D objects will be merged into one mesh.

Blender will only export obj with SOME materials intact. those that use mapped photogrpahs for tecturrs should come out alright, those that use procedural textures (like clouds, musgrave, marble) will lose their textures. Also obj format cannot support some of the material effects that can be applied in blender. In an obj file all the specularity values get set to 0.8 or so, although their colours remain as what thye were in blender, and emit effects are not possible. Transparency is sometimes ok, but this once again depends on what transparency method is used. Obj should not cause inversion of normals though. I would suggest trying dae (collada) as your export format, it suffers many of the problems i listed above, though not as severely as obj formats will.

Yeah I found out that 3ds file format works best because the the textures will be automatically applied.

Even then the procedural textures won’t survive though. Good luck to you with your projects.

I just learned of this Blender Cycles baking option. I hope I can use it to bake procedurals.