Um...A Head!

Every once in awhile you just have to make a head. I started by sculpting, then retopo, now I am resculpting, after which I will again retopo, and texture. I think I will also make a set of hands to go with the head.
Comments and crits appreciated.
Apologies for the fuzzy edges. That is just my laziness in post pro.

This is a great start! At the moment, the only comment I can think of is that the eyes may be a little bit too far apart. The space between the eyes should be about the width of one eye, corner to corner.

I think it would help to see a straight front shot and side shot, rather than having a slight angle in all of your images. It might also help to see some viewport screenshots, maybe with some matcaps, in addition to actual renders.

Thanks, Zeke Faust, Good call on the eyes. Should be easy to correct with some proportional editing. I modeled this mostly with no references, So I figured things would be slightly askew in parts.

So this is just a freestyle head, not based on a specific person? The more references you have, the better. 3d.sk is a good site to look for refs, though it’s not free. :frowning:

Great start, I didn’t know you did sculpting Mordon! It looks really really good! Can’t wait to see the textured version :smiley:

As far as I see all the anatomical features and the planes of the head are there and at the right place. The eyes are perhaps a bit wide, but nothing that would be outside of the normal variation. Perhaps you could make his jawbone a bit more angular and more pronounced at the ears, but that is only a matter of taste and design decision.

Now I’m curious how this will progress :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, I decided the eyes were within acceptable parameters, but I got some funny results when I was experimenting with adjustments and tried to do a push/pull in edit mode with proportional editing on. He became a frightening insect creature. Anyway, I have extended the neck shoulder area, polished up the ears, and am working on adding some definition to that area. I’ll have an update soon and thanks for the replies.

I think I’m finished with the sculpt, so now on to retopo-ing him, before re-sculpting.
(edit)whoops that was a slightly earlier render, but it’s pretty close to where I finished sculpting, so I think I’ll just leave it.

He is looking great! :slight_smile:

Thanks man. Here is the current state of the sculpt. I am now retopo-ing him again, and then will sculpt in the fine details, and retopo again…

Why do you keep retopoing him? I first sculpt the basic forms, then do a retopo, then add detail usinga multires modifier!

Oh and another thing, just looking at him again, his ear might be just a bit too high? Remember, the top of the ear should be in line with the top of the eye, and the bottom of the ear should be lining up with the bottom of the nose :wink: Great work, I really like how this is going!

Thanks. I first retopo’d him to make a base that was good for sculpting, then I sculpted him again, and now I have to retopo him again, because the mesh is getting kind of dirty, mostly from using the scrape tool I think, and it’s quite a bit more high poly in places than it needs to be. So I’m optimizing him for sculpting one again, and then I will make one last retopo’d mesh that is optimized for animation, and bake the surface of the final sculpted mesh to the final retopo’d mesh.
(edit) I can adjust his ear once he’s in his final state.