Tornado

Hello! This is a WIP on a tornado that I’m making using blenders smoke sim. I would be doing this for BlenderGuru’s Natural Disaster Competition but I don’t think I have the time :(. However I will try to get as much done before the deadline.
Here’s what I’ve got done so far…

Ive managed to get the twister shape of the tornado with the use of the particle system. So that part is checked off. However, Blenders smoke simulation is being difficult. Instead of just rendering out as one smoke vortex, the particles are emitting a blob of smoke individually so I am getting these dots of smoke forming a twister. How can I fix this?

Here is another render from a different view (I am rendering with blender internal because render times for cycles are off the charts).

The purple box is a scale reference. It represents a 6 ft. human, so this tornado is pretty big.
All comments and suggestions are welcomed!

So during the course of this week I believe I have managed to find results a little better. Here are some renders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344617[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344619[/ATTACH]

The only difference between these renders is the camera view. I’ve made minor adjustments to the material of the smoke. If you go to the materials then under the lighting section in the volume rendering type, you’ll see there’s a button that says shaded. I changed that to multiple scattering. Then I changed the spread from .200 to .600. I found that doing this will get rid of some of the shadow details in the smoke. Thereby, making the dots of smoke a little less visible and the smoke as a whole will look a little more solid. However, it is still a subtle change.

Edit: Also, I changed the density scale and scattering values from what I previously had which was .500 scattering and density scale of 1.000 to 1.000 scattering and density scale of 2. Doing this did prove to give some better results.

Aight, I’m back with more updates on my progress! After finally having time to work on it, I focused on how to destroy objects. I used sussane as a test.

To break him up, i used the explode modifier. Since force fields effect particles, I had no trouble getting it to swirl around the tornado (thank God). I also had to make sussane tear up from right to left. I found from a tutorial by Tutor4U, to use a particle texture to achieve this.

Since the experiment proved successful, i am going to move on to creating the scene later on.

By the way, my posts aren’t frequent because stupid school gets in the way :(. Usually I can’t work in this throughout the week.

Ok, so I’ve rendered out a quick animation of my tornado, just to see what it looks like, and something is oh so terribly wrong! :eek:

The tornado is like gliching in its shadows and material for some weird reason. I can’t find out for the life of me what to do to fix it! Please help me if you can figure out or guess what might be wrong with it!

Back with another update! I’ve started to focus created the scene. I think I want that chicago city type look with the elevated train track, so thats what I started to make. So far I got to this:

A lot of my reference came from everywhere: movies, some guys website about his trip to chicago, and even a video game (Watch Dogs). Later Ill make the top of it with the tracks and stuff.

Aight Im back! ik its been a while but I’ve got work done. Heres what I’ve done so far

Ive created the wooden logs that cross the structure and a rail. Also did little bit of materializing. I added rust to the clamps of the rails and a bump texture of scratches to the rail. I feel the rails specularity is a bit to high though. Please give critique on my progress

Attachments

Hi Johnnygibbs your results look good, however, it looks a little off because you have rust on clamps, but there is no rust on the rail. Another thing is that I think rail aren’t usually painted, but if you want them painted then it should be painted only at bottom as paint on top will be removed when trains run over it (this can be easily achieved by using only the z output of texture coordinates as a factor for mix node) and also the rails are quite shiny on top (I think!).0

I agree with shininess! I took that down a notch instantly. I understand where you’re coming from with the paint. I will see if i can use your technique or perhaps add rust to the rail instead. Really appreciate your feedback aksaini136!

after a week I am back with another update. I finally finished the train track entirely, modeling wise. The top of it is all materialized; all i have left is to materialize the bottom of it. here is the train track…

So I’ve started working on the bottom of the train and I have reached an inconclusive decision making…

Im not sure which type of material to choose. The one on the left seems to be as if rain recently washed the paint away, leaving the metal behind. However, the right image shows more grundge and makes it look a older. Please give feedback and critique on which one looks more reasonable and better.

so are you going to have the tornado destroy that?

Yes or atleast ill try. I plan to use a particle system as i did with the monkey. And for rendering, I will render the tornado and the city separately so my computer don’t explode. Besides modeling and texturing, this project is extending beyond my experience with blender for I have barely used the smoke sim and never really destroyed anything in this manner. However, I couldn’t resist trying. :slight_smile:

Next update: I finally finished the train track. modeling and materials.

next step is the fun part: destroying it.

also this is going to be on a city street. However, it is going to be simple (Andrew Price’s city tutorial) so I’m not posting work on making the city

After a few tests and experiments I have found a couple methods for breaking the train track:

the first two are the same simulation and is my best option for breaking the track. However, where I can destroy the track is limited in this method although the simulation is more controlled. this method was learned from the “Destroy a large building tutorial” on youtube. The last test is my least favorite method. I use the explode modifier and a blend particle texture to destroy the train in whatever pattern the blend texture will give such as linear (left to right or front to back), diagonal, spherical (collapse from center and outward or vice versa), etc. That’s definitely a positive. However, the simulation looks terrible and it is very glitchy. The parts that break up are uncontrollably big and interact with the world very strangely :confused:. So the first method seems to be my go. However, I might end up mixing the two :eyebrowlift2:.

Another method also is using cell fracture but Im not sure about that one

Ok well I’m stopping this thread, for this project is taking way too long and with my slow computer I can’t keep this thread up to date. Thx to all that helped and gave feedback! (Aksaini and Alberto lol)

@johnnygibbs
Please take a look at the effects I can achieve in Blender.
If it’s okay with you, I can attempt to create a realistic destruction of the tracks.
contact me if anything: [email protected]
https://youtube.com/jesus650rwc

Hey albertofx! how would you have destroyed the tracks? After looking at your videos, I assume you use rigid body and cell fracture for most of your destructions