Making objects in a scene reflect to 2D animation sequence

Hello! My 1-st message on this site, hope Ive chosen the right forum. So, Ive got a question. In a short: Ive been doing some animated space battle - scenes and started long time ago in Blender Internal, and now I would like transfering everything to Cycles, but the issue isnt about it. I want make many things such as fire explosions and etc. in an external programm called Particle Illusion (Im sure everybody knows it). Once Ive done it there, I can export them as a regular image sequences and here I want to add them to Blender scenes, so the question is how to add such sequences so they could interact with objects made in Blender during render to get realistic look? Hope I made it clear) As I imagine that should be add as another render layer, but don`t know how to this. Any help?) Thanx in advance!

First of all … why do you feel the (so to speak …) business need to “transfer everything to Cycles?” Nevermind how long ago you started on this project, and, likewise, nevermind what features have been added to Blender since that time … is it defensibly necessary to now rap that work?

(If the answer is “no,” and I daresay this is the case, then: “don’t.”)

Meanwhile: “what is ‘the output,’ whatever-it-is, of ‘this program, whatever it is?’” Likely, it is some sort of (two-dimensional) bitmap, with no aspect of “three-dimensionality.” Therefore, one way or the other, you’ll have to deal with it, as “a two-dimensional asset,” somewhere in your compositing stream. And this necessarily means (since the incoming data has no 3D-component), that you either will need to create some kind of plane-object in 3D-space upon which you can “project” this 2D content, or you will need to simply “superimpose it onto” a 3D-generated result in some believable-to-the-audience way. Them’s your choices . . .

I just look now at other space-scenes and they look realistic… mine like a toys (materials dont look realistic). Thats the main reason. Yes, I know some people can get from Internal as decent result as from Cycles, but I cant so far. Anyway Im not sure yet should I transfer it, since my card isnt Nvidia and I have no gpu. The idea of projection upon plane is interesting, if theres a way to to get plane fully invisible, only sequence that is projected, that can be really a good variant. I need to check out some tuts about projection, I havent needed it before. If I "superimpose it onto" a 3D-generated result, then it wouldnt have e.g. reflections on ships when 2D explosion comes and etc. It could be tweaked in a way in Adobe AE, but would like to make it in Blender)
Oh, and thanks for your options!

Yes using a card system (plane with animated movie) in 3D space would be best solution. This allows you to composite the animated explosion into the scene with regard to camera movement (correct spatial alignment for free). make sure that you constrain the card (plane) so that it points at the camera at all times, otherwise your projection will get distorted by perspective.

Yes, nothing can be better\easier! I should have guessed about it before)Thank you, I`ll try that technique soon:D

BTW in your signature said “awesome in space …” Did you participate in a movie “Tears of steel”?