Compositing cycles fire and smoke

Hi guys,

I’m trying to composite some fire and smoke on top of a real world clip. I’m having issues though, the fire ends up looking very wierd when I composite although it looks nice in the 3d preview render:

I think it has to do with alpha channels. I tried to hack up something with the node editor to make it so that the smoke has a correct alpha channel, because if I just use the one provided by the render layer, it’s empty. This is the setup.

I’m a total beginner when it comes to compositing so I appreciate really any tip that you guys have to give me. Thank you immensely,
Bumbaz

Seems like an odd setup. Is your composite screenshot with this node setup or is that just 'alpha-over’ing the ufo layer on the background? From your nodetree, the ufo alpha channel looks ok…

Thank you for the reply, Hammers. I simplified the node setup a fair bit:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345435[/ATTACH]

However, the render is just straight up ignoring the alpha channel of the fire. The UFO and the fire are in the same layer. This is what I get:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345436[/ATTACH]

Strangely enough, the fire does show up in the final composite using the node setup I just posted, but not when it’s over the white sky:

I really don’t understand what I’m doing wrong at this point!

Unfortunately your node tree image attachments aren’t working so can’t really tell what you’ve done. Sorry if this is obvious, but have you tried just the ufo/fire layer alpha-overed on the background plate?

Try posting your compositor image again or even a blend file for us to look at.