Rainbow Dash

Just a little weekend project I made, may as well share it with you guys. This is a character model of Rainbow Dash from Equestria Girls. Since the original character was made in 2D, I though it would be a challenge to make a decent 3D model. Also, I intend to animate it, and I haven’t worked in a cartoony style before, which should be fun. I experimented with deform cages for the clothes, and it is now one of my favorite modifiers. You can avoid tons of weight painting and make higher quality deformations at the same time. Anyways, enjoy some renders.

I uploaded the model and rig to Blendswap, and it should be accessible soon.
Critiques are welcome. :yes:

Nice work, I liked it. How do you use the deformed cages for the clothes? You use the laplacian deform and hooks?

I weight painted the deform cages to the armature, because there are much fewer points to paint, and because the different layers deform precisely the same, even with really different topology.

Also, the blend is here:

Great colors in this character, and the guitar render is a very cool pose.

Ahhh. Now I understand the use of these deform cages. I also face this problem of controlling different layers with armature. Now I will also use these deform cages.

Nice job with the modelling! It’s tough to translate 2D style into 3D, but you’ve done it very well here. I also think the lighting is good.

can’t remember the last time i fell in love at first sight :smiley:
you should be really proud of what you’ve accomplished with her

@harleynut97 Glad you like it. :slight_smile:

@mano-wii Yeah, they are definitely worth looking into. The Sintel rig was driven mainly using deform cages. That is where I first got the idea.

@Hoot215 Thanks! The posing and lighting is always a lot of fun after getting everything in the rig done.

@khalibloo I am quite happy with how it turned out. I think the hair could use work, and I have yet to add shape keys for animating talking, but otherwise things went about as well as I could have hoped for.

Thanks for sharing. I’ll learn a lot from this. Nice rigging and character.

Thank you!

Very nice!