Working with multiple alternate camera angles in VSE

Hi,

I’m only using the VSE part of Blender as I’m shooting videos and all I need (at least for now) is a video editing software. I shot sequences from multiple angles and I would like to be able to go back and forth between them and find a convenient way to switch at any given point in the timeline. Now the issue is if I import several clips and have them one on top of the other, the topmost one will be displayed in front of the other ones which will then be hidden.

I tried looking for a solution or workflow on the Internet, but I failed to find anything relevant. All I could find was explanations on how to switch cameras in a 3D scene and that’s off-topic.

Any suggestions?

Replying to myself as I found the solution on my own and this might help someone else in the future.

The keyword used in Blender land for this is multicam. There are two things to know about this.

To view the different cameras in the preview, you can switch the channel: channel 0 is what will be visible in the final rendering, the others are the “tracks” in which you put your videos.

To switch from a camera to another, use a multicam effect strip. The manual describes how to use it in the effects section.