Tweaking in edit mode : override the min treshold option

Hi all,

In edit mode, when tweaking a mesh, you can notice a lag. The element starts to move after a delay.
it can be set in preference (Drag and Tweak treshold).

But, the minimum is set to 3px. So, the lag is still noticeable. µ
Is ther a way to override tha min value?

thanks

(Cf screenshot)

LOL…okay

+1

Thanks,
paolo

Hi there,

I was originally facing the exact same problem when moving over to Blender - I was used to drag tweaking by click-dragging directly on a component, as well as “off-hand” dragging (that is to say, middle mouse-dragging without actually grabbing the component, as it is possible to do so in Maya or in Max with the Switcher plugin). Setting the Drag and Tweak thresholds to their minimum values indeed helped, but as you noticed it, a tiny bit of hiccup is still present.

However, and even tho I understand that it won’t directly address your issue, I would recommend you to try out the rather exotic default Bender way of doing things which is hotkey-based transformation : tap the key you assigned to Move (or Scale, or Rotate), move the mouse without clicking to move the component, and click to validate. It is very counter-intuitive at first, but I actually find it to be very elegant and precise … and I now miss it in other programs.

Now of course that doesn’t quite explain why the Drag and Tweak threshold cannot currently be set to 1pix. I too think that this should be addressed as there is no good reason to limit this value to an arbitrary number, and this is especially important for people modeling with a stylus. I hope that someone will be able to help you with that.

Pior,
even with hotkey, you still need to move at least by 3 pixels, nothing different.

paolo

Sourvinos : there must be some kind of setting somewhere that one of us changed then, as I can confirm that on my system (PC, 2.72) there is currently no minimum distance when dragging components after tapping the key assigned to Move. This is indeed what makes it feel so precise and fluid to me. Unless we are talking about different things ?

I’m quite sure we are speaking of the same thing, that’s strange, I always use hotkeys, and for small movements I have to go backward after the first move 'cause of this, very annoying for heavy meshes editing or complex character posing (OS X, 2.72 and previous).

paolo

don’t see any delay on win 64 at all may be show with a short video for the 2 ways you mention!

happy bl

Tested with 2.71 official, 2.72b official and latest buildbot.
Win64 and Linux64 (no OS X, sorry)
Load factory default.
If i press G and move the mouse, the movement is instantaneous. No lag.
Even with Drag and Tweak Threshold put to max (40px drag and 1024px tweak)
Can someone (other than sourvinos ;-)) test it with a OS X build to confirm if it is a OS X bug?

JoHal, since it’s not clear on your reply, to effectively test the issue you have to move by less then three pixels and see if it moves or not, if you simply move it it works for sure.

Forgive me if you already did it.

EDIT: If actually you didn’t get a lag with so big thresholds then maybe this is the bug.

@Ricky, if you say to me, is not easy to show in a video that a mouse movement of 2 pixels doesn’t move the object.

paolo

Translate (G) is not linked to the tweak setting (unless you change it from a keypress to a teak event in the user preferences)

A workaround for the 3 pixel minimum tweak setting is to add a new shortcut for translate (same as pressing G) and setting the event to be a Mouse Press. This is not a tweak so the tweak setting does not affect it. You may have to look at adjusting the confirm as setting to RMB press confirms with the LMB. Play about with settings to see if it benefits at all.

Well 2 pixels on an HD screen is super small almost invisible and very difficult to see or control !
I don’t see any delay to move with G key at all tried many times
sorry but not certain what the other method is - to move things !

in any case don’t remember having problems for moving things in edit or object mode on win !
but could be a bug function of OS !

thanks

I’m a bit confused, I just tried with default cube and it seems that g+drag has actually no delay, while click+drag needs at least 5 px to move, even with thresholds to 3.
However I’m sure about that annoying lag with heavy scenes, so maybe it is due to some other causes.

@Richard, thank you, but I’d prefer to stay with hotkeys, as Pior said, when you get used to, it’s hard to do without, and at this point I need to investigate further.

paolo