Bmw s1000rr

EDIT (for the purpose of updating the thumbnail):
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Current state of the bike:

End of edit/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello everyone!

Some days ago I watched a video on youtube from motovlogger Baron von Grumble, where he was talking about, riding and reviewing the BMW S1000RR. I really liked the bike, so I decided to try and model it. Here’s what I have so far:

I have a couple of hours in it so far and am really looking forward on working more on it. The line-art that I’m using for direct reference is a line-trace of a photo so it’s a bit distorted. This means that my model will be a bit of an approximation of the bike, but I’ll try to get it as close as possible. That’s pretty obvious on the front brake calipers right now, since they are obviously not aligned. When I have them modeled, I’ll move them to fit the axle of the wheel. I do have blender set to use metric units and am starting off of sizes taken from the bike’s Wikipedia article. I do rescale things to fit the reference image a bit better tho. I hope it won’t jump too much out of proportion by the end.

Here are some more infos on the bike.

And to hopefully get you as excited as I am, here’s a cool photo of the bike:

I just love that non-symmetrical fairing in the front. BMW and their crazy headlight ideas…

More updates soon!
Cheerios!

P.S. I have another interior project WIP thread way back in the pages, but this project is my main one at this point, so when I’m done with it, I will probably revive the old one (if the thread is not deleted yet).

Here’s a small update.

I’ve finished the front disc. I’ve been working on the front calipers, but I wasn’t satisfied with the result and ended up redoing them several times. In the end I thought I’d remove the parts I don’t like and work on the disc instead to push the development of the bike forward, and simply get back to the calipers later on.

Attachments

Hey!

I did some more work on the front-end of the bike and played around a little bit with some materials.

Thanks for taking a look!

Looking good! You might want to make sure your model is accurate before you even start on the materials, though.

Thanks for the comment, NID!

I am definitely going to finish all modelling before I go deeper into materials. I haven’t started UV unwrapping anything yet, the materials in the renders are just some nodes I put together while messing around. As far as the model being accurate - I have a lot of reference shots from different angles of the bike, but my blueprints are basically just a vector traced side photo of the bike, so I do have to make some approximations. But I suppose redoing some parts is a part of the whole process.

Pretty nice so far! I really like the headlights as well–unsymmetrical designs are quite interesting.

Cool tires. You know your modeling so you will make a nice model.

Thanks for the nice words, Coolfield!

Here’s some update renders. Not much progress, but still:

Thanks for having a look!

Great choice of bike. Looks really good so far, have fun doing the smaller details :evilgrin:.

Thanks, miika! Yeah, the smaller details are going to be a nightmare on this bike… There’s just so much stuff on it… it’s like a spaceship!

Here’s some small progress:

I reduced the overall thickness of the bike and made the bottom fairing. There are some weird shadow things on the top edge of it, so I’ll try to fix them in the next update.

Pretty much ignorable amount of work done on the bike. I was sadly busy as of late, but the WIP is not dead.
I added the part that is sitting between the tank cover and the frame, and resized the clip-ons, since
the old ones were ridiculously small.
I also added some more basic one color materials just to give the bike a bit more presence in the scene.
(Still no UV unwraps tho. Don’t want to break something and then have to unwrap it again.)

Anyway, sorry for the insane lack of updates, I hope to be able to get back to work on it more frequently.

Looking good!

Thanks NID!

I did some work on the front calipers. I redid those 10 times already, but the mesh always got really complicated and it produced a lot of artifacts. So what I did in the end is basically split the entire module into separate little parts where there are supposed to be sharp edges. It’s still one object, but the parts are unlinked meshes, so it’s easier to select them too when I have to apply materials to them and texture them. I’m happy to say I’m finally pretty satisfied with the result. I left the smallest details out tho - I’ll add those with a normal map, because the model is getting pretty complicated as it stands now and I’m literally nowhere with the small details yet.

How do you guys approach such situations, where there are tons of complicated small elements, that should be a part of one whole object?

Here’s a quick OpenGL render of them separated:

Here’s how the sit on the bike:

Here’s a little update:

I did some work on the tank and tail section yesterday night:

…and some basic work on the swingarm:

And one more for good measure: