How does rendering affect a computers lifetime?

Hello all,

I just looked at my computer’s temperature when rendering, and that was kinda scrary.

First of all, is it normal for a computer to reach this temeratures when rendering? It even hit 100 degrees celcius.

And second, if this is normal, how does this affect the lifetime of a computer? It can’t be good for a processor to have the temperature of a water boiler.

The Temperatures are really to high for that CPU(it runs slower then its normal speed to prevent itself from getting hotter). What kind of CPU Cooler are you using (Did you build it yourself/it is properly installed)?

As an Example my overclocked i7 2600k runs @ 65° while rendering (not with the stock cooler)…

I couldn’t find any information about the cooler itself, but the case is a cooler master centurion 6 atx.

oops brain cramp on my part. sorry. i was looking at the gpu fan. still check you cpu fan. see if it needs cleaned, is ramping up etc… at those temps if its working it should sound like a helicopter. what os are you useing?

it looks like you fan is going out or not kicking in. 1040 rpm is very low. it might be a hardware failure or a settings error.

look at the chart on page 15 of that pdf. fan rpms start at 1800 and go to 3200. see if you can go into your setting and crank the fan up. if you cant get a new fan. its going to be a lot noisier but safer.

might be a good idea to save yourself a copy of that pdf, it’s the thermal manual for you cpu.

what brand is the computer and how many watts power supply does it have? if i have the brand and model number of the computer i can usually find much better info for you. the motherboard is decent but many manufactures skimp on power supplies. you might be running out of power to fully power the fan.

and over heating can quickly kill a computer. if it ever crashes and shuts its self off after a few crashes that component will die. had a fan go our on a gpu and didn’t figgure it out in time. it fried on about the 4th crash. fortunantly a for me a gpu is alot easier to replace than a cup, you just slip a new one in the pcie slot. not that easy with a cpu.

Damn man I’m surprised you still have a functioning CPU. And, I agree that fan isn’t winding up as it should. I would expect it to be at 2500 rpms PLUS at this temperature. Actually, I would expect it to break through the case and start bouncing off of walls.

When my CPU gets to a steady 63C it gets my attention while rendering. I have a AMD CPU and at 64 degrees for over a few seconds the fan kicks on max high. MAX HIGH: Think of a 737 revving the engines to full power on your desktop. Believe me it will get your attention.

So having said that I question your monitoring app. I like ‘Speccy’ like many on here. A free app for Windows. And, yes that is why I left Linux. Windows just has to many free killer apps. So while not being a Geek, techno type, I question your app for monitoring. Best of luck with the problem.

specs according to speccy
Summary
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz 35 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87M-PLUS (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
24MP55 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 27 °C
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SSD) 26 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) 23 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 29-8-2014 11:03:07
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC) Enabled
Notify level 2 - Default
Firewall Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time
Schedule Frequency Every Day
Schedule Time
Windows Defender
Windows Defender Disabled
Antivirus
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Antivirus Enabled
Virus Signature Database Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus Disabled
Virus Signature Database Up to date
.NET Frameworks installed
v4.5 Full
v4.5 Client
v3.5 SP1
v3.0 SP2
v2.0 SP2
Internet Explorer
Version 11.0.9600.17498
PowerShell
Version 4.0
Java
Java Runtime Environment
Path C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe
Version 7.0
Update 67
Build 01

I opened up my computer, and the cpu fan looks like some kind of default intel fan, nothing special.

I did a second try to render something while running speccy, it stayed (just) below 90 degrees celcius this time.

There are serveral things you could check next:

1. Take a look into the bios if there are any settings that let you control the fan speed of the CPU Cooler (ie if they would be set on low and not auto/max but i guess that is not the problem)

2. Put some pressure on the 4 pins that connect the CPU Cooler to the Mainboard to look if they are locked in securely - the Standard-Cooler has these push pins and maybe the person who installed the cooler didn´t pushed them in enough

3. If the 2 Steps above don´t help: I would remove the cooler and look if the thermal compound is evenly spread across the CPU/Cooler(which it should be because the Standard Cooler come with a Compound pre-applied) but in that case you should have at least some new compound at hand in case you need it (completly remove the old one before of course). There are even video tutorials about how to do this stuff, it is no magic:-)

If you want to execute Step 3 at some point you would even have the option to buy a better cooler for the CPU to get it less noisy and even lower temperature while rendering.

@theoldghost: You should consider Step3 too, to keep your ears intact, it doesn´t need to be THAT loud and your neighbors will thank you:-)

While trying to look for a broken fan, I found a solution. There are 3 fans in the case, one cpu fan, while the other two seem to be there for the airflow in the case. One lower on the front, and one higher at the back. The gpu is so big that it divides the case in half, seperating the airflow from both fans from eachother. The cpufan is currently using the top of the case to output the airflow, which was obstructed by a desk. (didn’t look that obstructed to me, there was an 8 cm gap between the pc and the desk)
I placed the pc on the floor, and now it’s staying below 70 degrees celsius.

Though this works well enough to prevent damage, it might not be the main problem. The fans are incredibly quiet, even when the cpu reaches high temperatures. They never get above 1200 rpm. I looked in the bios, (a pain to get there, ssd’s aren’t good for everything) changed the fan settings to turbo, but that didn’t make any difference.

@granite_skull, step 3. is a good suggestion and for some reason I was assuming he had a new computer. I renewed my paste about six months ago, HP machine was 3 years old, and haven’t heard that fan kick on high since. And, indeed several neighbors did comment on not being shocked out of their sleep since I’m a night owl. :slight_smile: Anyway good advice and I can see he’s in knowledgeable hands now. Why more knowledgeable then I am.

have the fan replaced if it wont go over 1200 if it is getting full power. like i said many pc makers skimp on the power supply so it may just be a case of not getting enough power. try speedfan. windows will often override bios settings via the fan driver. it has to stay within bios ranges but can control within that range. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php speedfan will let you set the speeds and temps they kick in at. but if the fan has gone out or is underpowered. speed fan can tell you the power draw of the fan to see if its a power problem.

make sure you aren’t making the same mistake i made. the fan listed in you top post is your gpu (graphics card) fan. its not the cpu fan. your gpu is only 39 degrees so its logical for that fan speed to be low. i dont know why the monitor isn’t listing the cpu fan, but fanspeed will list your case and cpu fans.

getting to bios is easy, but never do it unless you know exactly what you are doing. make sure your monitor is on then turn on your pc and hit a key on the black screen before windows starts to load, usually the escape key. it’ll tell you which key to hit on the screen for a second or two.

The bios isn’t quite how I remembered it from older computers. It even has a mouse interface, but none of the settings seem to do anything at all.
I already installed speedfan, but I don’t quite understand the program yet.

there are plenty of tutorials on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=speedfan and it should be able to tell you if you need a new fan before you waste money/effort on something you dont really need.

70° are fine - hard to believe that you get an 25° improvement just by pulling the machine out of the desk (mine is in a similar situation but got room in the front and back to breath).

Regarding the 1200rpm, are you sure you got the stock cooler maybe there is already a better one installed which runs with lower rpm? (Stock Cooler blows Air towards the CPU not out of the case)
The Stock cooler should look similar to this:

Another thing you could check is the voltage your CPU runs with under load - you can use a tool like CPU-Z for it. The setting choosen by your mainboard may be overkill and could be tweaked towards something lower resulting in lower temperature.

The cooler looks exactly the same as that image.
About the difference in temperature, I don’t understand how putting the whole thing on the floor could have helped either, but it works.
Unfortunately I’m not able to look at the voltage this week, I’m on holiday.

perhaps you bumped a loose wire while moving it. it could be as simple as making sure everything is fully plugged in. or perhaps you had it pushed too far to the back blocking the vent against a wall or desk panel. thats why you want to know what the problem is before you waste money and time fixing the wrong thing only to still have the same problem.

and unfortunatly holiday? now that’s dedication.

I have an Origin Eon-17-S High Performance Laptop with an Overclocked Intel Extreme Edition Core i7-3920XM Quad-Core Processor (4.1GHz - 4.5GHz with Turbo Boost), 8MB Cache, and when I first got it, the computer would freeze up while using Blender, I contacted the Origin support team and they came in by remote and turned my overclocking down slightly to peak at 4.4GHz, then everything worked well while using blender. The processor will automatically shut down if it reaches a core temperature of 105c,I see that in my intel extreme tuning utility, that the core processor temperature peaks at 103c and occasionally I have seen it go as high as 104c while rendering, but thats the peak, its mostly at around 98c or 99c but it does peak at those higher temps, but doesn’t stay there long as, of course the temp. fluctuates all the time while rendering. I am rendering fairly long animation scenes, so I’m rendering for sometimes 5 hours at a time and longer, and I also use the computer for other things like surfing the net and using gimp etc. while rendering,sometimes on certain stages of the render the computer goes really slow on accomplishing a task, like even loading a photo in the photo viewer. I’ve been using the computer like this for nearly three years now and haven’t had any problems so far, but I do worry about the wear and tear on my computer, as I burned out a 800$ HP laptop before purchasing this Origin High performance computer,which also has 32 gigs of corsair vengence 1600MHZ ram. Any comments on this?

not a cheap answer but look at watercooling, my temps was high (not as high as yours lol ) but the noise my fans made was driving me nutty so I got a corsair H55. Well worth the cost my cpu runs at between 10 ~12 c no load never had it above 40 ish c running fluid sims
[cpu is a FX 8320] am saving now for a watercooling rig for my graphics cards

I just checked my cpu temp. with another software called Real Temp 3.00 and it gives a temp. for each individual core and they are ranging from 75c to 88c, yet the intel extreme tuning utility software just gives one temp. which it calls the core temperature, and it is ranging from 96c upto 103c. Can anyone explain why these two diferent programs are giving different temps., is it because one is giving individual readings for each core and the other is giving an overall temp???

@the animator
You should check if your CPU runs at maxium speed while rendering - i guess it lowers it frequency because of the high temperatures (normally it stays at its max temperature under 100% load).

@heddheld
I wouldn´t recommend a compact water cooling solution like the Corsair H55 because it doesn´t bring the temperature lower then a good air cooler (the bigger water cooling solutions/custom build ones are another story but they are more expensive).
What is the temperature of the room your system sits in? 10 - 12°C shouldn´t be possible under normal circumstances with a pure water cooler:-) Maybe you could try out a different tool to read out the temperature?

@granite_skull
Your right, the frequency does go down at the higher temperatures, when its at 103c the frequency is down to 2.79GHz.

heres a screenshot of my Intel extreme tuning utility showing the high temp. reading.

Attachments