Fungus and more fungus

Hi, I open this section for beging to shared some progress on my project, I will work on objects don’t require much modeling work, that allow me focus discover more what problems I have with shading, compositing, details. Using blender to 100%

Fungus Growing

Current Result:

Old Results and testing:

For this work, I made a little sketch and my objective is traslate the 2d image to 3d, with a similar materials to reference:

I’m close to finish result, the more important changes are focus on character. Rendering on layers help me a lot to made the process of re-render more confortable.

Result A (1000 samples 3h of render, grass 1000, background 1 sample, clouds on internal).

This is the first compositing, his body have a little radius on all body with subsurface scattering and diffuse shader. On this result I like the body, but I think the right side part is very bright, for that reason I made another render test

result B.

The second compositing, his body have a radius more big, I like much the result below of “hat” of this result, I increase more the strength of microdetails, and made a little more opaque the body for not lose, because the sss “erasing” a little that work when absorb the light. Also because The sun have less strenght.

with that two results on shading, I found the way to control the radius on each part and beging to combine the result A with result B:

Result C: (the fungus layer have 500 samples 1h, the rest have the same previous settings).

For this result, I play a little with the displace modifier, and I can mixing the radius, but I forgot reasing the old radius to the body/foot. I increase more the strenght on micro details on body, but I think is pretty strong.

Result D: 1000 samples 4h

the render time increase because the polycount is more big, for have a result with displacement modifier controlled with vertex group for each part, like to the shader of fungus have the radius (A) for body, the radius (B) for hat. I add the yellow scales acord to sketch, and reference, The eyes have bump but I need made a image with a more big res because him don’t see good.

I’m making another render without displacement modifier, with tha result I will chose what result is the final for fungus. Next I will try to see if I add little things to background, or work on timelapse.

Hi Harleynut, thanks very much; yes want made a little animation (of few seconds), actually im searching a good quantity of samples for render each frame, because 500 (1h) and 1000 are betwen 3h-5h each one picture, Im thinking for use a render farm enslaving another old pc, to test time, I want for solve that problem of time.

The threat of Matinius, is pretty nice! his models of fungus are pretty accurate and of course I will check for inspiring thanks for sharing!

EDIT1

bonrw1: thanks for the kind words.

ok I will try to seize the space of each post for upload advances:

Render E (fungus 1000 samples 5h, grasslayer 50 samples (10min), terrain layer 50 samples (10min), sky 1 sample, clouds internal)

ok, I think the time render increase this time too because I made more big the tiles for rendering x4, in this test I quit the displacement efect, and set the radius combination of A and B images, I feel happy with result, but not for time.

EDIT2

UPDATE

render F (fungus 500 samples 1h, grasslayer 50 samples (10min), terrain layer 50 samples (10min), sky 1 sample, clouds internal)

render Ga (fungus 500 samples 1h, grasslayer 50 samples (10min), terrain layer 50 samples (10min), sky 1 sample, clouds internal)

This time, I test the funfus without a layer of microdetail. And I test another quantity of samples to prove time and quality. I think 200 are good for made a animation, but 30 min for frame is much, definitely is necesary search a solution with multiple pcs, for made a animation of few seconds.

I agree. Colours are very nice! :slight_smile:

It would be quite nice to see a few others scattered about the field, like smaller ones?

bonrw1 It would be quite nice to see a few others scattered about the field, like smaller ones?

sound interesting your suggestion bonrw1!, after I have a final choise of how looks the principal fungus, I could made little copies with some variations, scattered on all field on diferent layers. I think add another type of things how leaft and rocks for have more variation on the scene.

thanks for your suggestion.

Render Gb (fungus 200 samples 30min, grasslayer 50 samples (10min), terrain layer 50 samples (10min), sky 1 sample, clouds internal)

Is the same render Ga but with less samples. Renders E resalt more the bump type “skin” on hat, for that reason I made another render when both type of details don’t lose.

Render Ha (fungus 500 samples 1h, grasslayer 50 samples (10min), terrain layer 50 samples (10min), sky 1 sample, clouds internal)

Render Hb (fungus 200 samples 30min, grasslayer 50 samples (10min), terrain layer 50 samples (10min), sky 1 sample, clouds internal)

Renders “H” are the result I search, have a nice balance on my old results, combined type “skin” embossed with the type “grain” no one stands out more than the other. Now I can work on another three assets more for include on escene. In this moments Im processing another render with more big size for layer fungus. I hope blender dont crash when finished that process xD.

A great looking result already, Jose! I really like the small details in the textures, and the glossy red material on the top of the mushroom is especially appealing! Can’t wait to see more!

James: Thanks friend, I’m feel close to finish this first render, for beging another composition with another type of fungus.

Test

I’m making a image with a big res, for don’t lose the details, the layer of principal fungus are finish, Im feel happy because all work on microdetails don’t lose 22h of render.

here a previus shot of rendering.

Im working now on another little probs, but now I go to sleep Im thinking to add little branches for give more variety to terrain.
After of that I will work first on time lapse, another renders, and test animations.

Instantly reminded me of this Estonian painter: Navitrolla

sidam ressav: Thanks for sharing about your local artist sidam ressav! thanks to you I can admire his work, I like much the composition whit clouds crossing the mountains, and his animals too :).

Update

ok in this days I made some render for test what resolution I can handle, saddly I’m very limited on memory, The compositor don’t allow me put much effects on images that exceed the 10 mb, for deal images with a big res I need handle each one apart, save and recompositing again.

Render I 300% (11h the fungus, 3h-2h the ground and particles, 10min background, clouds on internal)

On this render I try to add more assets to the enviroment, I add a random variation on grass and bump, but I feel I made two steps back because I dont like this new enviroment (the grass color and terrain dont convince me, the texture of ground is bad, and some branchs don’t appear on the final result, But I think is more the randomization color of grass that ruin the composition). the good I have backup of the old terrain I will re take that enviroment and add the probs.

how I want see more the microdetails I increase the size and naturally the render times increase drastically for each layer render, for example the 400% res, the fungus layer on 500 samples have a duration of 22h, the ground and particles between 5h-3h with 100 samples, but the bad, is I can’t composite that image and I don’t made a render with that size, only when I have a better machine, for now I need handle size that allow me speed up my workflow.

UPDATE test

I’m reduce the bump of scales accord to suggestion to pieriko here a preview, for now I will try to update with previews, after of that I hope have a finish piece to beging the another sketch fungus work.

I will work the scales on another layer for avoid to re-render the fungus when the scales need some modification.

UPDATE test2

Result GroundA

ok Im trying to found a good result, with probs and grass, in this test I set the ground how the old result because the result on render I don’t like anything, but the diference with the first results A-H ground grass, is on “I result” I have a “correct” control on orientation on instance, and I don’t depend much to the random options.

For this results I made render test with 200 samples.

WOW, it looks very nice now.

I would just reduce bumpiness of the yellow spots on the hat. Btw, how did you manage bumpiness, with the displacement material slot or using bump node to generate a normal vector?

Could you post the node tree?

What is your engine specs?
What is the memory usage of your render and what is the output resolution you are aiming for this animation?

I think I could help, I’ve made some nice shopping lately… maybe I can share my render power.

Pieriko: Hello Pierrick!

I would just reduce bumpiness of the yellow spots on the hat.

thanks, I will made that adjustment!

Btw, how did you manage bumpiness, with the displacement material slot or using bump node to generate a normal vector?

I use the bump node for handle the bumpiness here is the setup of the yellow scales:

but for the fungus is a spagguetti node, because I handle mask and diferent layers of bump nodes for handle the influence of each part of body and textures.

What is your engine specs?

I use layer weight nodes + Curves nodes or Color Ramp nodes for handle the roughtness and influence-

What is the memory usage of your render

I need help on this part, because I don’t understand with accuracy how much memory’m using, and how much memory remains.
Im using link groups, and render on a new principal scene, that only contain a camera and this is the data on blender, I will leave a screen shot for more clarity:

I can render the objects with a resolution of 400% without blender crash, but when is time to compositing I only limited to join the images without some filter how motion blur.

The unique reason I render big size is for see the microdetails bumpines and test my limit xD, for now I dont need hiper image quality > 1000, I think with 700-1000 is god, and use another cameras with close shots.

and what is the output resolution you are aiming for this animation?

well on this unique render I chose a resolution accord to the sketch, but for animation I want use a youtube format 720x480 with 30 fps, because the render times per frame are very big (1h with 500 samples the fungus only!). you can give me some recomendations for that?

I think I could help, I’ve made some nice shopping lately… maybe I can share my render power.

wow man thanks for that, Im tempte to use a render farm with my old pc, but that machine don’t show image on the monitor it seems problems with the video card, power or even worse aa motherboard failured xD

Update on Ground2

Result GroundB

on this test Im a little close to reach the old result on grass direction, with a more controlable orientation on instance, I quit the probs for rendering a little more quick.
the another diference with old results is the “A” and “H” have 40000 particles while this result have 8000.

Hi Jose Perez.

About memory usage, the first slot tell you how much memory is being consumed based on the number of vertices, faces and objects in the selected scene, the second slot, the one between [ ] show you totals of what resources are currently selected. This can help identify when you are reaching the limits of your hardware.

First advice would be to use blender 2.72 if you wanna try CUDA rendering of the SSS enabling experimental rendering property.

Also, in the latest versions of blender, the layer weight now have a normal input that really enhance blending option.
As the blending will now inherite your thinnest details

About rendering, I don’t know how you’ve separated your layers but you should put first ground on a layer and exclude every others (as I don’t think the fungus has any crucial influence on it judging your lighting position).
Fungus on a second layer exluding background ground and masking option with the forground ground.
A last layer with the background ground, excluding all the others.

Cuting your scenen in part like this will save memory usage.

if you want, when you feel satisfied about your scene, just send me the blend file and maps folders.
I will try a redering and save all passes in correct folders and send them back to you. ( we can use wetransfer.com to send files efficiently without adds and acount)

Based on performances, we will see, if you’re happy with this process, if we can increase youtube target resolution to a 720 or 1080p.

Let me know what you think.

About memory usage, the first slot tell you how much memory is being consumed based on the number of vertices, faces and objects in the selected scene, the second slot, the one between show you totals of what resources are currently selected. This can help identify when you are reaching the limits of your hardware.

Thanks for clearing that finally I could knowing more accurately what my limits in hardware environment!

Cuting your scenen in part like this will save memory usage.

yes I made that, look on my Outliner of my previous image I have a lot of linked scenes, that mean I have the render layer for each object I don’t have problems on crash when is moment to render :), for example the post when I responce to James that image have 400%; the problem begin is when I will do a composition, look this x,D:

that scene for compositing only have the things of default (cube camera and light, you can comprobate the Outliner panel), I’m only allow put a image over another, but not apply effects xD, but I don’t understand why. Ok I will try to apply the explanation you give me about memory management:

the number inside of “(…)” is 431.21mb, that mean that images and nodes are using that quantity of memory right?
and the number outside is 58.33 that is my limit right?
that mean Im exceed my limit?

First advice would be to use blender 2.72 if you wanna try CUDA rendering of the SSS enabling experimental rendering property.

well I remember I dont use 2.70 instalation because dont render textures, I have a adm card I can use CUDA? I only remember I can use OpenCL but I could be wrong. That cool that new featured, I will try to download again and prove that new version :).

As the blending will now inherite your thinnest details

yes definelly can help a lot to stand out the micro I will update my blender :D.

if you want, when you feel satisfied about your scene, just send me the blend file and maps folders.
I will try a redering and save all passes in correct folders and send them back to you. ( we can use wetransfer.com to send files efficiently without adds and acount)

thanks for that, if the times per frame exceeding the hour I will transfer the files.

Based on performances, we will see, if you’re happy with this process, if we can increase youtube target resolution to a 720 or 1080p.

thanks for confirm that, I think the image with 200-500 samples could be presentable (I hope).

now Im testing a tips that give me james too for have a less noise image, I need made some adjustment for compositing for working tomorrow because now is pretty late (4am).

Let me know what you think.

thanks for your advice, if you need help on something tell me for see if I can help you too!

grettings!

-José

—UPDATE RENDERING--------

Result J (fungus layer (200 samples), scales layer (200 samples), ground layer (200 samples), grass layer (200 samples), ground props layer (200 samples), sky (1 sample), clouds internall). time render 30 min aproximelly.

for this render I take the result GroundA, I separate more each piece for have more control and optimization on my scene, the fungus have more lighter eyes, but I dont like much the integration, because the seeds looks pretty dark, and the fungus looks more clear, the grass to, this composition have much unbalance on colors, thing I will fix on another render test.

Result K (fungus layer (900 samples 1h56m), scales layer (500 samples 18m16s), ground layer (500 samples 56m08s), grass layer (500 samples 48m43s), ground props layer (500 samples 17m55s), sky (1 sample 6s), clouds internall)

For this render I put the result GroundB, have the separation accord the “J” result, and I rcovery the balance color on composition, I feel the branchs/sticks close to the fungus are pretty hard to see, I will try to increase his thickness for don’t lose, also I will beging to put another little fungus accord to sugestion to bornw1.

Thanks James Candy for the multiresolution map advice, optimice my time render a little more!

Hi José,

you can’t use CUDA with AMD card as it´s a nVidia tech :confused:
if you want to work with blender you('ll) need Nvidia Card.

memory displayed, is the total memory used by Blender.
the number between [] is the memory usage of a selected object. This just information.
the critical value is the main one.

what are your computer specs?

Nice work joseperez! It looks beautiful. I especially love the SSS and the bump on the top :slight_smile:

@Pieriko
Hi Pierrick!

you can’t use CUDA with AMD card as it´s a nVidia tech :confused:

Thanks for rememberme that, I only know I can use OpenCL.

if you want to work with blender you('ll) need Nvidia Card.

you right, I need a better PC for improve my work time, for that reason Im working on not very complex scenes, for know my limitation on time and resources, for begging to made some freelance works and could made a good invertion on a powerfull machine.

memory displayed, is the total memory used by Blender.
the number between is the memory usage of a selected object. This just information.
the critical value is the main one.
what are your computer specs?

here are my pc specifications

Processor: Intel (R) Core™ 2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.4GHz(2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory : 2048 MB RAM
Graphic card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series with a Memory of 1787MB.

friend, I need another clarification, the value outside of “()” is the memory ram that use blender?
That mean on hipotetical case if that value overpass the value of my memory ram( 2048MB, well in this hipotetical case I discount the ram that use my OS ), that mean that hipotetical blend file using all ram on my pc, and have more posibilitis to crash?

thanks for you pacience, and usefull information!

@solowy: thanks mate Im satisfied with my fungus too, I need improve the scenary to begging to made the timelapsing work soon! and good luck with your project!

-José
—of topic----

my fungus invade another topics!

------Updates ground-----

Result GroundC (test render on 50% with 200 samples)

this time I made a Try using 40000 particles, that allow me recovering the old results on grass and ground with this new particle orientation setup, and probs.

Result GroundD (test render on 50% with 200 samples)

on this test render I add more branches (68 instances) and increase his thickness, I move the holdout fungus to another layer, I’m happy with this result.

Result L (fungus layer (900 samples 1h56m), scales layer (500 samples 18m16s), ground layer (500 samples 1h36m56s), grass layer (500 samples 1h38m), ground props layer (500 samples 19m59s), sky (1 sample 6s), clouds internall)

on this result I quit the second layer of background montains, fixe the colors, and implement the new grass with 20000 particles, for some reason the scene crash with 40000 particles (maybe because I have diferent grounds instances for props, and grass apart, and that could be increase the memory count, and have subdivision surface modifier on 1 level), I fixed a little the colors. On this new current stage I will check again the reference for see how looks the branch, maybe my branchs are very smooth, and need more zigzag deformations, also I will add the another fungus on background, maybe 4 o three fungus,

borwn1 if you can, could be you shared with me a scattered distribuition that you have on mind? :slight_smile:

any feedback is welcome.

UPDATE

Result M (fungus layer (900 samples 1h56m), scales layer (500 samples 18m16s), ground layer (500 samples 1h36m56s), grass layer (500 samples 4h38m), ground props layer (500 samples 19m59s), sky (1 sample 6s), clouds internall)

well this time I can render the 40000 particles, I think the last time don’t render because I have another work tools open, also I quit the subdivision surface modifier to branchs and grass, but the grass layer increase much the render time.

Is moment to fixe the branchs and add the another fungus.

Result GroundE (200 samples)For this result I work with 30000 particles, after of set the quantity I place the another objects (seeds rocks and branchs on ground), for finally remove the innecesary grass that cross with that objects, also I fix the branch give a little of imperfections.
I quit the holdout material for see the parts that hide the inferior part of body of my fungus, because I don´t like how se ground on that part.

I create a new scene and send the original fungus here for implement the suggestion of bornw1, and I beging to play with lattice modifier, for this guys I only leave one level of subdivision surface modifier for avoid more poligon count.

for give more diversity I set diferent index to each object, that allow me that guys shared the same material with diferent colors on his hats. I clean more the node setup for this guys of nodes I don’t use.

the next step, I create a link group for each fungus (A,B,C,D,E), and send on the Terrain scene for placed and see how they looks on the enviroment, after I render, I group again on this scene for send to the main scene, that allow me have the fungus with the position on terrain and don’t make the ubication again.

I feel this first scene is finish I render two results only with diference on samples on the secondary fungus (500 samples-2000 samples), his time render is aproximelly 4m-10min. now I will focus on the next render Rage Fungus:evilgrin:

(little fungus have 500 samples)

(little fungus have 2000 samples)

a version accord to suggestion of minobirus to improve the clouds, and quit the motion blur effect on grass: