sorting objects in dopesheet

objects in dopesheet and fcurve editor seems to be sorted by ‘creation’ time, and not alphabetically as in outliner, this usually results in difficult to read or edit data and also makes not much sense… you can use filters but it is not always a good solution

here’s a snippet / workaround for simple scenes that ‘recreates’ the objects, so dopesheet looks alphabetically and hierarchically sorted

# sort objects in dopesheet / fcurve editor

import bpy
scn=bpy.context.scene
obs=[o.name for o in scn.objects if o.animation_data]
obs.sort(reverse=True)

for o in obs:
    obj = scn.objects[o]
    scn.objects.unlink(obj)
    scn.objects.link(obj)

hope to see some proper fix to this soon, thought of filling a bug but it would be rejected

1 Like

This is a good idea. Thanks.

Seriously? But, it makes so much sense to have both Outliner and Dopesheet in the same order, alphabetical or some user-imposed order.

Perhaps this is something you could post to http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Proposals/UI.

it is not a bug as it never worked, it’s not even coded I guess… it is more a ‘user expectation’
btw where can I see your locomotive? had to do a rough 2-6-0/6 recently :slight_smile:

Sorry. I should have taken that link out of there. This project is taking far longer than I first anticipated, so the web site is down (as you likely know, since you’re asking :slight_smile: ).

I’ll endeavor to post something in Works in Progress if you like. It’ll just be parts, but that’s all I have ATM. PM me if that will help.