Corner Pin to 3D

Hello everyone.
I’ve been searching for this around the internet but couldn’t find anything useful, so I decided to make my very first post here :wink:

I am making a short film where an actor looks through a peephole and then opens the door. Since we are a no-budget production, we couldn’t get access to a door with a peephole, so I decided to go with CG. I strapped two pieces of duck tape where the object should go and done. So I thought.
Now I am sitting here trying to figure out how the actual “F” I can track this.
The problem is that the door moves (what a surprise) so I can’t just pretend as if the door was a scene object.

A solution would be to track something static, make it the scene-track and account through the static object the relative movement of the door. But there is nothing static to track. It is a closeup of the door opening :confused:

Now the next best thing I can imagine would be to get corner pin data and somehow convert it into 3D motion. I have watched many corner pin tutorials, but the common trick is to deform a 2D plane, which is not helpful in this case.

Now my question is, if there is a way to convert those corer pin data into a 3D scene.

This is the footage:

Here my peephole in Blender:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Even though you can theoretically do this with a perspective tracker, given enough information about the plane you are tracking. However, I don’t think it is possible with the blender perspective tracker, because you cannot give the tracker information about the object you are tracking.

So, I am afraid you are going to have to keyframe it!

Also the peep hole reflections will give it away unless it moves in 3D space.

Ok thank you for the information. But before I kill a weekend, do you know maybe other software which would allow this?
And if manual mode is really the only solution, what would be the best way to do it? Because trying to align rotation and position for every frame… is very… hard.

I would try and match the 3d space with a plane object as the door then swing it back. Try using the BLAM addon to match the camera field of view, assuming that there’s geometry inside to go by for setup. Then do a tripod solve of the tracking but you’ll want to track something like a wall defect instead, something that is static throughout the shot. At least compared to the door swinging. Otherwise ask Sebastian Koenig on twitter. He’s the author off track match blend and may have an idea.