Questions About the Video Editor

Hey guys so i am new to blender and this community and I got blender so i could have a nice free video editing software and so far it exceeded my expectations. Since I am new to blender I do no not really know the layout and where to find everything so if you could explain where to find everything and then how to do it, that would be fantastic!

So here are all of my questions and please if you have time try to answer as many as you can it would help me out greatly!

1. I want to capture a hilarious moment with what people call a freeze frame? Its taking a single frame and extending over a couple of seconds almost like a picture. Then being able to continue on with the video after those couple of seconds are over.

2. How do I play a section and then cut it? and then duplicate it and then play it backwards and then forwards again? Kinda like how something epic happens like a guy falling off a roof and then its rewound and he flies back up on the roof and then off again?

3. I have recorded some game footage in 1080p 60fps with my Shadow Play recorder which saves them in MP4 perfect for uploading to youtube. I have uploaded this footage into the editor and changed the settings to match along with a 8kb/s bitrate and when I render the video and save it to file and then play it again without blender it comes in very bad video quality. How do i fix this?

4. I want a counting system with numbers in the bottom right of the video and I plan on having the numbers to add up to 1,000 as events happen in the video.

5. How do I add text to the video?

6. How do I insert a sound effect into the video as the number goes up?

Thos should be all of my questions and for some of these i really just want to know how to insert the items and how it works so i can edit it and play around with it.

Thanks!

1. I want to capture a hilarious moment with what people call a freeze frame? Its taking a single frame and extending over a couple of seconds almost like a picture. Then being able to continue on with the video after those couple of seconds are over.
    You could just insert an image between two pieces of video
    Or use a hard cut (shift+K) in a strip, move the clip on the right and extend the clip on the left to fill the gap
  1. How do I play a section and then cut it? and then duplicate it and then play it backwards and then forwards again? Kinda like how something epic happens like a guy falling off a roof and then its rewound and he flies back up on the roof and then off again?
    cut a strip, duplicate it with Shift+D, move it along the timeline. Add an effect strip to it and in the effect strip properties under Filter, enable ‘backwards’
  1. I have recorded some game footage in 1080p 60fps with my Shadow Play recorder which saves them in MP4 perfect for uploading to youtube. I have uploaded this footage into the editor and changed the settings to match along with a 8kb/s bitrate and when I render the video and save it to file and then play it again without blender it comes in very bad video quality. How do i fix this?
    Check your render output settings for codec and bitrates
  1. I want a counting system with numbers in the bottom right of the video and I plan on having the numbers to add up to 1,000 as events happen in the video.
    In the Render settings in the ‘Stamp’ panel there are various displays you can add to the rendered output
  1. How do I add text to the video?
    Add an image with the text or use some text object in the 3d viewport and use that rendered as a scene input
  1. How do I insert a sound effect into the video as the number goes up?
    What number ? If you want to add sound use Add / Sound menu

Moved thread from Blender & CG Discussion to Support / Compositing and Post Processing

Youtube recommends a bit rate of 8000 for 1080p and that is exactly what i have it set as. I am not too sure what you mean by render output settings when I go to Output it has a path selector a few checkboxes and a dropdown selection box which is set to Xvid when youtube recommends MP4? and also BW and RGB boxes that is set to RGB.

Is there just a way I can add in a textbox over multiple frames?

When i was talking about adding a number on my question “4” thats what number i was talking about, sorry for not clarifying.

Youtube recommends a bit rate of 8000 for 1080p and that is exactly what i have it set as. I am not too sure what you mean by render output settings when I go to Output it has a path selector a few checkboxes and a dropdown selection box which is set to Xvid when youtube recommends MP4? and also BW and RGB boxes that is set to RGB.
Supply example blend files with a video clip and example output files that demonstrate any issues. Note that if you add compressed video as an input and use a compressed video format as an output it will re encode it, even if it is the same format.

Is there just a way I can add in a textbox over multiple frames?
The options I’ve given can give a text box over a number of frames
Also see

That would be way to difficult for what I am trying to do. What I’m trying to accomplish is, a basic counter that goes from 1 to 1,000 doesn’t have to be anything fancy I just want it to stay stationary in the corner counting to the next number when I type it in the, textbox if there is one? I am looking for as if I were typing in Microsoft Word’s text box and then somehow be able to put that into the video.

There is NO TEXT or TITLE TOOL in Blender. That is why you use the other Blender tools to achieve this. You could use the Randomiser addon to generate a simple number count in a text object in 3D view. Render a 1000 frames and import this into the VSE as an image strip. Press the Y key to decompose the strip into seperate frames and select an average duration for them, eg. 500frames. Then overlay and crop them into your video.

Also Blender’s exporter (ffmeg) uses limited export variables per codec. It may be that Blender simply is not using all of the bandwidth that you are nominating.

quicktip. Switching to SDL in blenders preferences gives smoother video performance.