Cold Snap - A Winter Storm

This is my latest project, and my first of 2015. This image is of a winter storm, and is inspired by my mornings at my Grandparent’s house, watching the birds out the window. Many special memories . . .
I dedicate this artwork to them.

Special thanks to all of you who visited my Focused Critiques thread and shared your opinions, they really helped me realize the best in this artwork!

FEATURED ON BLENDERCOOKIE: https://cgcookie.com/blender/gallery/

I think this is the post you were talking about on my thread?
It looks great!
I particularly think the DoF is done well, and looks really nice with the falling snow.
I found the birdhouse on the right a little distracting from the main focus of the image, probably because of the high brightness of the surface?

The snow on the front of it is probably what is doing it. It is right at the wrong angle for reflections . . .

This is a stellar picture - like terrainer said, you utilized DoF quite nicely. Besides the snow on the right you already acknowledged, I have nothing constructive to give. Bravo!
I’m guessing those humming birds are actual pictures that were added in?

Thank you so much!

Those birds (Northern Black-Capped Chickadee) are 100% CG :slight_smile: Only the snow and background are not made in Blender.

Very good stuff! I especially love how you gave everything a thin coating of ice/snow. great!

Those birds are fantastic! 100% CG is very impressive!

It truly is amazing!

If i could criticize gently, i feel that the CONE is center piece of attention and something’s not quite right about it.

Please forgive me if I offended you, it truly is remarkable piece I only hope you’ll push it just a notch further for a jackpot

Thank you

Very beautiful and impressive :slight_smile:

@Guss: Thanks!

@terrainer: It was actually kind of fun once I got around to doing it. It seemed like it would be much harder than it actually was :slight_smile:

@cgstrive: I did model the cone separately, each piece is distinct, however the ice seems to smooth it down a bit, I should have corrected for that, good eye!

@Nilofar: Thank you!

Very good work. It is a difficult project, you are valiant. Amazing colours and composition. This image make me feel the beautiful winter in the forest. Congrats.

Thank you! I appreciate your appreciation :yes:

This one is really stunning :slight_smile: beauty to be exact… :smiley: cheers!

Thank you!

Nice! I love to see how you have developed into creating this art :slight_smile:

I have literally nothing to criticize except than what cgstrive said.
Btw awesome music :smiley:

Thank you! It has been quite a journey :wink:

Thanks! I am working on another track right now actually, another few weeks and it should be out!

VERY NICE WORK.:yes:

Why thank you! :smiley:

Really stunning picture, the modelling is superb.
I have not gotten around to animating a chickadee, but I want to, just drawn alot of them and even carved one out of wood
My only critique would be that most birds come out after the snow storm.
Even small birds like these chickadees would most likely come out after the snow stopped falling.
There can still be snow on the ground and covering everything but during the physical snow storm most birds are hiding, trying to stay warm.

Thank you! About the birds, they do go and hide out the storm is very windy, however, during a windless snow flurry, they commonly will stay out at the feeders.