3D Flat - "Convert" an image into multiple 3D layers

Hi everyone,

In order to recreate the “popup book” effect from the trailer “Electric Boogaloo” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5nKFvQ8gIM), I created this addon.
Using a single picture and the mask tool from the image editor, you can generate multiple layers and generate a parallax effect by moving the camera.

Please tell me if it’s useful or just a gadget not really usable.

Download : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44748446/Blender/EZ-3DFlat.py

2 Likes

Man, that’s awesome!

I’m planning to do my final paper at University (I’m not sure how to say this in English, but I have to make this in order to graduate) making something using 3D techniques to “bring life” to 2D stills, like in some recent Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and Magic the Gathering Cinematics and I think your tool may be really useful to me and other Blender users.

What a great year for 2D+3D integration in Blender! Grease Pencil improvements and now this -

Wow, that’s kinda nifty how it scale with the camera. Handy!

Awesome ! Doesn’t look like gadget to me as it’s a real time saver :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for sharing !

Nice one :).

Will have to try it out but I like to use real alpha chanels and infill to repaint the background layers. Anything to make this faster is a winner.

Btw double z the vse transform tool is still amazing

Thanks about the comments :slight_smile:

Like using “Stencil” in Blender ?

Also, I just released the version 0.4 of this addon.

Here’s the changelog :

• Textures of the “3D layers” are now applied using UV map instead of “generated”.
  • Textures can now be applied using “UV project” which is quite useful if you want to generate a little more of perceptive. Not as powerful as the “Point convert 3D” addon but still doable.
  • “3D layers” are now locked in location. Only the panel can move the layers in depth.
  • Vertical images can now be used (bad results in version 0.3)
  • You cannot create a 3D layers scene if no mask was created (crash script in version 0.3)
  • Not a bug fixed but now the default item chosen for the background generation is “hide selected” (“auto generation” in version 0.3)

Is this addon still availible anywhere. I did a google search for it and this page was the only thing that I could come up with.