Transformation, coordinates, local, global, and something quite strange.

Hi there,

doing 3d for my living for plenty years so I thought I know what a local or globlal coordinate system is, how it looks and how to use it. it seems blender is doing it in a quite different way.

so i am asking because of the transform tab that you get with “n” in the 3d view.
I thought it was showing either global or local coordinates. I didn’t get what kind of really and now I traked it down. It is showing neither. but what is it showing? an how can I set local or global values if the transformation tab is not usable for that.

I have a attached szene. 3 plane axes. Empty.001 and Empty.002 parented by Empty.
both have the same Location shown in the transformation tab. but obviously they are on different spots.
If I clear location they neither are on local nor on global zero.

I have no idea what is hapening and to be honest no idea how I shal work without a posibility to set local and/or global coordinates for objects.

I need help :slight_smile:

thanks a lot
Jops

Attachments

orientation.blend (423 KB)

The parent has a rotation in Z so make it a habit to always apply the rot/loc/scal Ctrl+A so you won’t have surprises :). Once you apply it you’ll see where the children really are.

Thanks for your answer. but when i apply rotation for the parent. the parent changes its angles. maybe that is not what i want or it is just impossible because the angels are driven by drivers. I also dont understand why the angle should have an influence on the position in a way that setting the position to 0,0,0 does not result in lying in the parents position.
Is there something like frozen rot, and position (that you can find in other apps) and how do i change these values.

i would have thought that i have to apply the position and rotation for the children, but that doesn’t change a thing.

Blender does that…You must say “I love blender” three times and then jump up and dance for 7 minutes to a song by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Then you must drink a stiff drink, go to sleep and dream of the answer.

Well it seems the empty has no data so Ctrl+A is the same as Alt+R for the empty.
A few people are having meltdowns over the same issus as you have so as @baal said just drink blender problems away.

ok… so empties with data dont have these problems? sorry for my incompetence but how can i give the empty a data?

thanks a lot

btw. i know the blender dance it comes absolutely natural to me. i just use a different wording :slight_smile: and drink coffe.

best regards
Jops

I am far from understanding why objects can present coordinates that are obviously strage, and i dont have to understand it ( I would like to anyway). But there has to be a work around. can i give nulls a data? or can I use a polyobject with just one point in it? I just want all the objects in the sceene to show their propper local coordinates without moving them around? Is this possible?

thanks a lot.

uh year… the blender dance “oh how i like blender”… jump in the circle three times… and now i will get myself a propper drink and get to sleep:)

the problem is not, that empty nulls just have just one coordinate system. the problem is, that in blender they have obviously more then one. If the nulls only had one coordinate system and nothing more, they had to move to the parents position if i set the location to 0,0,0. but that is not the case. So there must be a offset, or frozen transformation in the code somewhere. How can I clear that offset (that is doing nothing more than showing me the wrong coordinates) without moving the objects. I don’t want to move or rotate or scale the objects. I just want to see and edit the real local coordinates.

How do you guys work with nested objects and the coordinates manager?

best regards
Jops

There is also Shift+Ctrl+P where the child object exists in the parents coordinate system

For more info on parenting in blender see http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Objects/Groups_and_Parenting

Thanks a lot.

this function “make Parent without inverse” moves the child to the position of the parent before parenting. unfortunately doesn’t it move it back to its former position afterwards. but anyway the child gets proper local coordinates.
there is an other function that can help to get local coordinates. “clear parent inverse” moves the child to the coordinates defined in the coordinated manager but localy. the object moves to the position where its coordinates are correct for the local coordinate system. the object keeps child of its parent. so it is not unparenting it.

for parenting standard ( for example drag and drop in the outliner) I would consider something like “make Parent without inverse and set back to original position” to be best… but obviously this wouldn’t be blender style.

anyway thanks a lot everyone

best regards
Jops

For getting the actual global coordinates of a parented object you can simply get the Cursor to its location (select the child, Shift S - Cursor to selected) and in the N-panel reed the cursors coordinates.

thanks for that good idea. but i actually have to set the coordinates with drivers. so this will not work. but as mentioned above i can now set the objects to propper local coordinates… and that is working for me right now.

thanks
Jops