Black spots on 3d view port while modeling

Hi,
I am very new to Blender but I am aware with “most” of the blender user interface.

I have started learning from Neal Hirsig’s videos on gryllus website(if you know of it).
There are a difference I am finding in his modeling and mine.

Please do help me how to rectify these differences. I am posting here the print screen of blender view and mine.

this one above you can see black spot on the walls in front and back of castle.

I just turned the castle to the left and black shadows has changed to the right.
It happens all the time, not with just this castle modeling but with anything I model.
While when he models, there is no black spot in his castle.

Please help me and explain why is this happening and how can I rectify it as it really distracts me from modeling,

Thanks in Advance.
Andy

Attachments

Remove any faces inside the mesh
Remove any double vertices (select all vertices and W / remove doubles)
Recalculate face normals (select all vertices and Ctrl+N)

Turn on face normal display any flip any faces pointing in the wrong direction (select face and W / flip normals)

also turn off grease pencil !

happy bl

Thanks Richard for your reply.
But please it would be alot easier for me if you explaine me in a more easier step wise and layman language.
Also I found some video on youtube where it said to go into edit mode and select the blackened walls, click W and select flip normals.
It resolved the issue, but has left me with a few unanswered questions.

1. Why this blackened walls happens? with every modeling be it castle ot anything else?
  2. what things to keep in mind while starting modeling that these black spot doesnt happen.
  3. what this W, flip normal did that corrected this problem?

Thanks in advane :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your reply.
But please it would be alot easier for me if you explaine me in a more easier step wise and layman language.
Also I found some video on youtube where it said to go into edit mode and select the blackened walls, click W and select flip normals.
It resolved the issue, but has left me with a few unanswered questions.

1. Why this blackened walls happens? with every modeling be it castle ot anything else?
  2. what things to keep in mind while starting modeling that these black spot doesnt happen.
  3. what this W, flip normal did that corrected this problem?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Also, please help me clear this confusion that I have not used mirror mesh in this modeling, so why does it happen? what could have been the reason for this and how could I avoid this problem when using mirror mesh and even when not using it.