Castle of Copenhagen

I am trying to re-create the 15th-16th century medieval castle of Copenhagen.

This thread is the WIP. I will post the final render in another thread.

I am using 100 % my own textures, except HDRI. This is in order to build my new library, “Blendstadt Library”, focusing on old, northern european textures.

I am considering to release this library for public with the castle when finished.

Ideas for the castle and surroundings is highly encouraged. Please keep comments coming, as I need ideas and constructive criticism of what could be better.

The main castle is almost done:

Hi, interesting project around here, please dont take the critique too personaly. It is just my opinion:
Castles were strategical buildings. So putting it actually on ground is the worst solution you can do. Maybe it is just a work in progress, but just wanted to make sure you know this. The roof is crazy. It makes me feel like if the texture was round or something like this. Definitely sort out the UV map on the roof - round,somewhere bigger somewhere smaller <-- problems
I think the walls are too low for it to be a castle.
It is too white. Dont know if you are using cycles or BI, but the whitness makes it look weird. In some cases it can be benefitial, but not in this one. I would doo a more stoney-like material.- like this guy did here: http://wallarthd.com/imagepics/fantasy-castles-in-paradise-wallpaper-desktop-2801.html

And it is just me, or IDK, I would do a wooden roof.

Looking forward to more of your inspiring work.
The roof tieles look too modern though.
What kind of look are you going for? To me it looks pretty low-poly.

Thank you for your honest critique.

With that said, castles in Denmark were not of what you expect of typical “fantasy castles” you see in ie. Germany, France etc. We have no mountains here and the ground is very flat in Sjælland (where Copenhagen is located).

Therefore it should be put on a flat ground. However, the surroundings has not yet been made, so I need to place it on an island for itself, as the castle was.

You can see reference photos of a real world model here:

http://www.copenhagen.dk/dk/det_sker/udstillinger/tidligere_saerudstillinger1/modelbyen

Denmark began using burnt red clay-tiles still used today, in around the year 1200.

The model alone takes up around 2 million vertices.

Again, thank you all for your honest criticism. Keep it coming :slight_smile:

putting it actually on ground is the worst solution you can do

I have found the picture showing the model of Copenhagen castle surrounded by the moat. The castles in Slovakia are placed in the very harsh terrain (hills, mountains). Here in the north the medieval castles took advantage of the rivers, swamps etc. So in my humble opinion the author has done it here more or less correctly :slight_smile:

I think the walls are too low for it to be a castle.
I can not agree. There are many small castles in the area I was born that you would probably never call a “castle”. Moreover this 3D model is going to depict the Copenhagen castle as it appeared in XV-XVI century when the fire weapon was already already in wide use. So it makes sense to build low wall fortified object.

philosopher
Keep going. In my opinion, so far you are following the right path. Cheers

PS. I love especially the Teutonic Order building art. I have been studying it for about 14 years. This is why I am going to follow your threa with great interest. I wan to know how you are going to deal with the rest of detail :eyebrowlift2:

Attachments

Sorry then, I was looking for this castle on internet but could not find it, so I thought it is your own concept. But even in this picture the castle is on a small hill, just a flat land would not look very realistic at all. But what confused me is that there is just one line of windows on your model on the house, so It looked smaller than the actual real-model which has 2 window lines. And what also confused me are the 4 rear windows- which kill functionality of the whole castle if it was surrounded by soldiers. But you have reference, so not your fault. :smiley: But maybe I should try castle too, because now I talk just theoretically without previous practical experience - if a model of walls and few towers is not counted as a castle. :smiley:

Very cool project, and the discussion that came with it was quite educational :slight_smile:

My only suggestion: the glass in the windows is reflecting too much light, to the point where they look like modern business building windows. Maybe a wooden frame with no glass, or closed wooden windows would look best. Or if you have the patience, you could add wooden doors to all of the windows and then rotate them one by one, to make all the windows look different.

Also, the scale of the textures is too large - compare your render with the picture above and you’ll notice.

Please keep going, this is looking real nice :slight_smile: