Quicker VSE?

Hey Blenderartists,

I hope this post will be alright, it’s my very first one… :wink:

So, I have a kind of a problem: Blender’s VSE. The VSE itself is great I guess, but with more than about 4 video tracks the playback is just 15 FPS or less. I don’t have the best machine, to be honest, but nevertheless, do you have any tips how to improve the performance of the VSE?

What I found out yet is only, that I should use the “AV-Sync” mode. Furthermore, never use the colorwaveforms for real time playback :D. I also learned first to cut and then change e.g. color or stuff like that. But I think there are more tips out there :wink:

I really hope that you can help me and I’m very thankful,

Daniel

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”

Biggest performance winner is to disable antialiasing in render options. Also you should generate and use proxies when you can.

Hmm I didn’t realise that Psyfi. Also try to accurately match project dimensions to source media dimensions. For example my dslr makes a HD frame that is 1088 lines not 1080 as the preset suggests. Because the vse auto scales the image you will loose performance there.

Open user prefs > system and increase the sequencer / movie clip editor cache limit. Also set the audio device there to SDL (I think) for best vse performance. Try to get a recent Gooseberry build as Psyfi is the developer and recently added some useful performance improvements. Bear in mind that it may not be forwards compatible with blender trunk tho.

savings so good I had to make a post. Played back a 720p 60fps video and got 22fps playback. Turned off antialiasing and got the full 60fps playback, even cleared the cache. Is there a way we can have just the vse output skip that setting?

edit: tried 1080p at 24fps and get the full playback. No sync gives me slighty better performance than av-sync with no sync issues.

edit2: what about having the cache follow the playhead. automatically caching frames behind and in front of the playhead to memory, clearing out unneeded as necessary.