Blenderguru Competition "Another Planet" - Robot and Floating City Scene

Okay, to start off - last week I modeled a robot. I thought he was good enough to post him here. I’ll keep this thread updated, but next week I don’t have Internet so I wanted to post images today.

The robot is called A-63. His goal is to get home to his family. But to achieve this, he has to fight his way in a surreal world, where vengeance is the only law. His journey begins today.

He is fully UV-unwrapped, by the way. I’ll make the textures this week.

Close-ups:

I think, I disabled Sub-Surf for the close-ups, this is why they look a little rough.

Again, I’m thankful for every response but I won’t be able to answer until friday. But I’ll work on the scene.

A-63 was mainly inspired by this picture: http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-21/me3-cerberus-atlas.html

update

Looking good! But I think that some of the textures are too large, maybe? IDK depends on the look your going for, I guess.

The model itself is amazing!
I would maby work a bit more on the textures though. I’m not sure what, but something is a little bit off.

Thanks! Yes, the textures are not finished and so are the materials. I’m going for a painted-and-scratched-metal kind of look.

I worked on his kid the other little robot in the scene:

Also, I’ve made a sketch of the landscape in the background (there should be some villages and stuff):

Worked on the kid robot (texturing):

Also did some sculpting to make a new landscape. I am not sure how I’m going over texturing the landscape (Vertex Colors vs Texture Paint (then how do I UV-unwrap a landscape?)). But I’m happy with the result now. There are going to be more rocks, bridges and towns all over the place. I hope to finish at least the flying cities this Wednesday.

I also made some zeppelins last friday. I’m not sure if I’m going for a steampunk look (zeppelins) or rather more sci-fi (spaceship).

I am not proud of the zeppelins, I’ll probably redo them.

The zeppelins don’t make it. Made a sci-fi ship instead.

I couldn’t really unwrap the spaceship. Here is my try:

:frowning:

At least I got some textures to work (procedural):

And I made my first stuff considering composition (I suck at this):

I have to find a way to retopologize the landscape I made (because 15 million polys don’t render that well). I’ll redo the spaceship because I really don’t like the design at all.

I look a bit messy as a way to work, I’m sorry if I do note.
Be more organized about this scene.

you have some write some CONCEPT first?
the idea is good but i can’t to “see” your intentions here.

When i say “organized” i talk about also the polycount.
You can’t modeling a entire scene whitout organize your polycount, because you risk some slowdowns of your system. And other problem.
Work on CLEAN topology so you can unwrap without problem.

organize your work in a concept, then use ONLY the polugons you need for real.
Be smart on modeling, use multi array and mirrors and duplivert for have a light polycounts.

work with order:
concept
modeling all the scene with smart polycount
lighting your scene base
give materials and textures
make a suggestive lighting
etc.

Was too busy, could not update. Here is the final image: