which linux for blender

Good morning, I would like to switch to Linux as operating system,
what do you suggest? I use mainly blender, but it would
nice it could support maya, Mudbox and ZBrush,
and some composition software
Better mint or fedora?, I do not know,
anyone can help me,
thanks.

Windows software does not work natively on Linux, though Autodesk provides Linux versions of Maya and Mudbox. ZBrush is known to work via WINE, but it takes extremely long time to start up due to an implementation issue.

If I were suggesting a ready out-of-the-box solution with minimum fuss, I’d say Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Mint, but if you want support for Autodesk products, Fedora might be a better choice.

Blender will work on near any major Linux distro out there, being a portable package.

Yes, Fedora! and FedoraDesignSuite

Just want to add some things as a linux user:

First of all, if you’re expecting to rely on WINE a lot, don’t. You’ll be better of emulating a windows machine. WINE can run into A TON of problems (hey! Just like windows huh?) Also, do some research before you make that jump. Maybe set up a virtual machine and test a few distributions before decinding. Not that they’re not all very easy and quick to install, but linux and windows can be very diferent. This way you can also check if your favourite software runs with WINE or not (I seriously wouldn’t give WINE much thought though.)

Other than that I can tell you that if you’re happy with windows and are a person who doesn’t need to know about how things work I would recomend sticking with windows. Not because windows is better than linux, but what linux does really well (compared to windows at least) is giving you a (MUCH) cleaner environment, where you can develop your own solutions and your own functionality, so if you’re not going to make use of that, I cannot promise you you’ll see many advantages in learning “how to computer” again. Because sure, Linux may be easy and all that, but that doesn’t mean it’s the same as windows or that knowledge retained with one is interchangeable with the other.

Linux might give you a nicer looking OS that’s potentially faster, smaller and easier to maintain, but you got to put on your learning cap. I can tell you one thing though: Blender works in linux, and it works really well.

So yeah, maybe this is a bit offtopic on the blender side of things, but I figured I’d try to be helpful. If you already knew this and I’m just making myself look stupid, oh well…

You can do a dual boot installation and maintain Windows while you try and learn about Linux (If you have windows 8 or higher, you first search about dual boot installation in UEFI mode). I use Kubuntu (KDE). Others distros are OpenSuse, Fedora, Linux Mint and many more. You can try most of them in Live mode (LiveDVD, LiveUSB) to have a first idea of how they look.

Thank you so much friends,
one more question, what is wine?

Great Thanks!