Is there a blender format specific for exporting and importing single objects?

First of all, I’m using the cycles renderer.

I want to render several different scenes with blender, and for that I’m working on several models (complete with UVs and materials), that will be reused throughout the project. I have a problem though, I cannot seem to find a format that I can export to that saves everything about a model as I created it in blender. Collada, for instance, doesn’t seem to be able to save material data.

Is there a blender specific format to export individual objects, or can this simply not be done?

Thank you in advance.

If you’re going to render in Blender, you don’t need to export anything. You can link or append objects from other .blend files (File -> Link or File -> Append) or simply ctrl+c/ctrl+v copy objects between two running Blender instances.

If you want to save selected items in your current blend file as a separate blend file use the ‘Export Selected’ addon and select blend as the export format http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Export_Selected

Didn’t realize this was a thing. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Will this give me any benefits to the method above? Is the .blend file it creates the same as a “normal” blend file with a single object, or does it have anything else worth noting?

Will this give me any benefits to the method above? Is the .blend file it creates the same as a “normal” blend file with a single object, or does it have anything else worth noting?
It’s exactly the same as you deleting all the other objects in the scene and saving the blend file just with the object you want to keep, but in a more convenient way

Ok cool, thanks.