How do you offset a render layer in the compositor !?

If this is confusing here is an example I made in After Effects.

I did one animation or render and just offset the layerers on the time line.

But surely there is a way I can animate something on a transparent background then bring it into the compositor and offset it in the same way to give it this sort of onions skin type effect using render layers. I see you can do it with an Image sequence in a way but why don’t the movie clip node and render layer node have the same frame offset options that the image sequence node has. ?

Also is it possible to give each render layer a different resolution and different to the output of the compositor for example if I wanted to place two 1920x1080 renders on top of each other in a 1920x2160 comp in the compositor?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sadly only the image/movie node has easy access to frame offset. You can do it with movie clip but you only get to offset it once per scene.
The VSE is not tied to the compositor (it comes last in the dependencies chain). You could however perform a key or color change in the compositor (in a source scene) and then deliver that to a VSE scene (a master scene). Then you could stack them up using alpha over blend type.

To the second question.

To make a larger composite of 2 full sized images you must:

1. alter the scene dimensions first e.g… Y = x2
  2. use a translate node using relative values of 0.25
  3. then alpha over.

1 Like

That is sort of how i have done it but those are pre rendered images, I cant see a way to make two render layers 1080p render layers and do the same thing without rendering them out first and then importing them into a new scene to composite.
Kind of wish Alpha Over was rather built into the image node like turning the alpha on and off rather than being a type of blend mode, I find it very limiting that the alpha channel does not work the way I would expect for compositing.

Also it would be great to have the option to allow render layers to be rendered at different sizes.
Also when it comes to the render layer node it does not seem to work with animation only with still renders, Think I am skipping a step to make that work though.

Ah well thanks though.

Use a different scene for render layer generation and try using scale node perhaps.