Crusader minifigures

Hello Community

Here is my current project. I have gotten into board/card/minifigure games recently. Because of this I am going to make models that I have started modeling a few figures that I could maybe use for some games (The church down the road of our street holds minifigure war games during the summer). I am currently making a few crusader figures and I might move on to something else. I am hoping maybe to 3D print a few of these if they are good enough. Anyway here is were I am at now.

Also if anyone knows how to model hands well please tell me. Also if anyone is interested here are some examples of what I use these for(these are not mine).

Any thoughts?

Hello Community

I have finished up the first model. I have the base done and will be moving on to the helmet. If anyone knows how to make clothes please tell me:D.

Any thoughts?

Hello community

I have rigged the armature and I am now ready to make the clothes. If you know how to do this your help would be MUCH appreciated.

Any thoughts?

Hello community

I have gotten a little sidetracked with track meets but I have buckled down and gotten some stuff done. I have modeled the sword. I does not need as many polys because it is going to be 3D printed and will be small enough to were you will not be noticed. The helmet will probably be next. If anyone has any tips for modeling the breastplate it would be very helpful.

Hello community

I have modeled the shirt for the character (thanks broken pixel for the link;)). Here is were I am at for the moment. I shall soon be modeling trousers and hopefully a shield.

Any thoughts?

The shirt shouldn’t close in as much at the arms. And are you trying to make it low poly or is it just a base mesh?

keep up the good work

Here is an update. I have fixed the shirt a little bit and I have modeled the pants. Next I am probably going to work on the helmet and then move on to making the model higher poly.

Any thoughts?

Here is my base model for the helmet. I still have a way to go with this, for instance the holes and the cross on the helmet, but I just wanted to get this out there for you to see. Now I will be going back over my other models and making them higher poly. I hope too add some facial details along with some details on the limbs. If you have any tips on adding details please speak up. I have no idea how to eyes and mouthes and I am not sure how to make the limbs higher poly.

Any thoughts?

The knee and elbow joints should have 3 loops apiece for proper deformation.

Ah nice! I’ve always wanted to make a crusader. for what you’re trying to do, honstly, I wouldn’t bother modeling the clothes. They are going to be under his armor.

How much detail are you wanting to put in these figurines? Also, if your plan is to 3D print these, I would try to keep everything as one mesh, rather than separate pieces. Another thing that I would suggest is to sculpt your entire model first, and then retopo everything. I would use either dynamic topology, or I would use what you have now as a base for multiresolution sculpting. This way there is no trick to how to model a certain piece. you just look at reference, and sculpt the shape. Then when you are satisfied, you simply retopo everything. blendercookie.com has some good tutorials on retopoo, as well as sculpting and 3D printing.

I am hoping to put a fair amount of detail into these. I want the figure to look fairly realistic. Before I 3D print it I was going to join everything into one mesh. I think this will work for 3D printing but if I am wrong please tell me. As for modeling armor I say this, during the crusades armor was very expensive so it only went to the most elite warriors.

Hello community

I have added some more detail to the helmet. I new have all of the pieces to the the crusader(except for possibly a shield). Now it is time to refine them. I will be going through my models starting with the main human and sculpting the details of the body. When I am done with this character I will hopefully be able to put up some 3D prints. Here is my current model with all of the bits of clothing.

Any thoughts?

Hello community

I have dune a bit of sculpting in the face. After watching the Blender Cookie I learned a lot. It was somewhat awkward to do the head though because it had a body attached to it instead of just being a cube but I think it will work. I am after all 3D printing these to be small so I won’t need to go to heavily into detail. anyway here is the head. I am not entirely satisfied with it though. Does anyone have any advice?

Hello community

I have gotten back to this project.

I have sculpted the arms a bit. I do not think I will do the torso because it will be covered by the brestplate. Does anyone have any advice?

Hello community

I have been sculpting the rest of the character. I have sculpted the bust. Do I need to sculpt the clothes or can I use the cloth simulator to make the clothes? I will be going through and adding detail to the helmet and probably the sword.

Any thoughts

you can use the shrinkwrap modifier to fit clothing. Also, maybe knock down some of those boxy corners.

Hello community

I have sculpted and modeled everything i need for this character. Now I am posing him. However I am running into some issues with the pants. The pants seem very disconnected from the waist. When I move the characters legs back it pulls back the pants. Does anyone know the source of this? My legs are also going through the the pants. If you know how to fix this let me know.

I believe I have finally finished it. I have spent some time messing with the weight paint and mask modifier and I have come to this point.

I will start to print these when I get access to the 3D printer. Any thoughts?

Check out Darren Lile’s tutorial on character modeling, the style he’s going for is more cartoon-ish, but the overall lessons are quite helpful for understanding topology.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyelx0TsmSpcnM61Z2XLrs1sInsQvdfl0

Hello community

I decided to render this as an actual image for the final post. I might go through and give it matereals but I think I will pass on that. I will probably start a new project (probably a 4 legged creature). Probably a bear. Thank you everyone for all of your great advice;). If you want to answer one more question I want to ask about the pants. The pants are curling up on themselves and looking terrible. Is there something I can do to make the pants remain unwrinkled?