[Addon] Save incrementally

Hello everyone,

I have created a quick addon to add a save incrementally entry in the file menu.
Find it here: save incrementally addon

It works by two ways: - Saving a master version in the folder and save incrementally in a new version folder.
(I used this way working at Aardman and it is my favourite).

• Saving incrementally in the same file folder

INSTRUCTIONS:

Install as usual (save within the blender addon folder) and activate in user preferences.
It will appear a new entry. Add the shortcut that you prefer.

If you save for first time, it will work as a the common “save as” and from that moment on,
As I said, it will work in two ways:

1. If you file does not have any version identification at the end of the file, a digit (001, 04, 3, 10340…whatever) it will use that file as master and will save the incremental versions in a new folder (which will be created by the script) besides save that master file.

1. If the file has any version identification indeed (001, 339, 1, 034348349034… whatever) it will detect that you want to save the new version in the same folder and so it will do.

And that’s it.
Hope it is useful for you.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I like the behavior of maya, auto saves in a directory and incremental save in the same directory of the original scene.

Do you think it is possible to do that ?

Hi Pitiwazou,

that would means override the blender autosave system and I am not happy with that.
It could be possible, but with lot of scripting far from my hand

Cheers

I like the idea of having an incremental save option that’s a keystroke away. Although I usually do [Cmd Shift S], [+], [Enter] which accomplishes the same thing. (When I say ‘+’ I mean the ‘=’ key to be technically accurate, since they are the same key) It seems like a lot of strokes at first, but it can be done quickly.
Anyway, I tried to install your script but got an error:

Here’s what the console had to say:

Modules Installed from '/Users/homefolder/Downloads/vtools_saveIncremental.py' into '/Users/homefolder/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.74/scripts/addons' ()

It says the modules installed, so not sure what the problem is. Does the script rely on a Windows-specific file path?

Jum! I am going to take a look on it
thanks!

Is it possible to update this for 2.92? :sweat_smile:

Anyone have a similar add on that works like this and not like the native save inc in blender?

It was working for me without updating, did it not worked well? Anyway, I have updated it. You can download it from my git. Let me know if it works for you now.

https://github.com/amensal/blenderAddons

00_installer folder has zips files for easy installations:
https://github.com/amensal/blenderAddons/tree/master/00_INSTALLERS

there are many addons there, but it lack of proper documentation. If you are interested in any of them just let me know and I will record a video tutorial.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thank youso much! It works wonderfully in 2.92. I really like this way of inc save. The original latest file must not be renamed.
Lots of add ons there. Some description of what they do would be great. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for this addon. It works really well… very useful.

Definitely I should add some description/photos/videos! and I will… someday… xD

You are very welcome :slight_smile:

Someday. Hehe. This save inc is so much better than the default inc saver. Thanks again.

When I try to save a file with a number, example furn1053, the addon doesn’t work and an error pops up. I assumed it would be saving a backup as furn1053_001 but it doesn’t and just an error.
Can we save blend files with numbers?

error

I am going to check it, thanks for flagging this!

I have just fixed it (I hope so). The scrip will consider names like “furn1053” has no version and it will create the version folder.
Hope it works for you

https://github.com/amensal/blenderAddons/tree/master/vtools_saveIncremental

Thank you! It works with numbered filenames now :smile:

Hi Vertigos. This script works wonderfully in 2.93 but im trying it on the BLender 3.0 beta now and it throws errors:

Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\FINE\Blender\__Versions__\blender-3.0.0-beta+v30.3e6907eb8a3d-windows.amd64-release\3.0\scripts\startup\vtools_saveIncremental.py", line 175, in execute
    savedFileName = saveIncremental()
  File "D:\FINE\Blender\__Versions__\blender-3.0.0-beta+v30.3e6907eb8a3d-windows.amd64-release\3.0\scripts\startup\vtools_saveIncremental.py", line 163, in saveIncremental
    newFile = getIncrementedFile(p_file = currentFile, p_inIncFolder = False)
  File "D:\FINE\Blender\__Versions__\blender-3.0.0-beta+v30.3e6907eb8a3d-windows.amd64-release\3.0\scripts\startup\vtools_saveIncremental.py", line 90, in getIncrementedFile
    posVersion = getVersionPosition(fileName)
  File "D:\FINE\Blender\__Versions__\blender-3.0.0-beta+v30.3e6907eb8a3d-windows.amd64-release\3.0\scripts\startup\vtools_saveIncremental.py", line 63, in getVersionPosition
    while p_fileName[i] != "_":
IndexError: string index out of range

I assume because some of blender python had some changes. Perhaps something you can look into before Blender 3.0 is officially released and this script is a must-have :slight_smile:

Hello!

thanks for flagging this. I am sure something in the api have changed so I will have to review all my scripts (starting with this one). I have not used any of 3.0 yet, but I will jump into it asap.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Vertigos, happy new year. All the best wishes. Do you have any update on this? :slight_smile: