Brush and razor

Hi everyone, I’m looking for critiques on the brush and razor models and materials. The brushed metal is based on Kent Trammel’s shader forge brushed metal tutorial. The bowl model is missing some shadows but may not be used in the final render. And its material is from Ranante’s recent image, Empty. Also any suggestions on composition to showcase the brush and razor models for a Store thumbnail would be appreciated, however, are not as important.

Thank you

I think the bristles are more even on a shaving brush.

I think the razor handle is slightly entering the bowl edge. I know that wasent exactly what you where asking but worth to be mentioned.

The bowl is floating?

The brushed metal material is really good! Idk what your node setup looks like, but I think you may be missing some anisotropy. Even a minuscule amount mixed in with the glossy shader you’re using will push that material to absolute realism, (try ash-shirley calculation method).

Your lighting is what is detracting alot from the image. It looks like you’re using two spot lamps and some world/environment lighting. I would recommend turning your world lighting down by about a third, and then bumping those lamps up and decreasing their size to give yourself some more shadows.

In terms of composition, try turning on composition guides in the camera settings and switching to “thirds”. You want the focus of your shot to sit at one of the intersection points of the grid lines. Right now, the focus is on the middle of the bristles of the brush. Also DEPTH OF FIELD! DOF takes everything to the next level and makes it look so much more realistic. You can apply the effect using a Defocus node in the compositor after you’ve setup the camera.

Here is an updated image. You can download the models, including materials, on blendswap.com. http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/78903