Vector Blur not working at all?

I feel like I’m missing something obvious here. In order to make vector blur work properly, all you need is to create a vector blur node, then connect color, vector pass and z pass and it should just work right? It’s not working at all here. Using 2.74.

The only thing i can think of is that I’m hooking up rendered png files instead of direct output from the framebuffer, but that still shouldn’t matter should it? Is there some setting I’m not clicking when I render the frames? I’m just flat out lost here… :stuck_out_tongue:

You need to get a vector pass and a z pass as well at render time I think, that’s what I do, I render to multi layer open exr if I’m doing something like an animation sequence I bet if you have rendered the vector pass to png it’s lost the information as it would get clipped I guess as it would apply a colour space and not linear like openexr

Then you’ll have an additional layer in the exr called vector (or speed) then just plug the z pass into z and the vector or speed pass into the speed socket in the vector blur node then it works fine. Assuming that the original has stuff in it that’s key framed to move and is moving of cause :slight_smile:

I’ll try that, but it seems a very strange workflow to have to use direct framebuffer output for a vector pass. Additionally, even if my final vector and z output images are 16-bit (or 8-bit), there should still be enough info for SOMETHING to happen. As it is, I may as well not even be hooking up the vector pass node. It does absolutely nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think it’s a 16/8 bit issue I think it’s the fact that open exr is linear 32bit where as when you save to png it’s going to save it by default in the srgb colour space, so if the vector pass is essentially storing 32bit float values that will break everything then the srgb colour space conversion happens saving it to png 8 or 16 bit (I think, happy to be corrected as always!) I do know that using openexr render sequences as I described with the vector blur node and 2.74 def works, well it does for me so far :slight_smile:

Ok thanks, I’ll try to out to EXR and see how that goes.

@fahr, you have to use .exr file format when saving your files; that’s the only image format that actually saves vector and zdepth information inside the image.