Who is responsible for updating Blender install at apt-get?

Who is responsible for the installer of Blender through apt-get? It is currently at 2.69. This is my favorite install method, I’d be willing to keep it up to date…

Debian/Ubuntu maintainers, I’d bet. Manually installing Blender is as painless as it gets, though: Unzip it where you please, redirect you file associations in your favorite file browser, and you are set to go.

With some symlink magic, you could even set your system to always use your latest install unless you want otherwise.

“Redirect your file associations…”

That’s the step that’s a hassle. I have to find the original location is installed (I try to keep the installation consistent) and update links and dependencies. Obviously its not terrible, just a 5 to 10 minute hassle I’d rather just go to the terminal and type “apt-get install blender” and boom.

Can’t you just add Thomas Schiex’s PPA to your repositories and install from there (ubuntu)?

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender

Repackaged (e.g. distro-provided) Blender is known to cause issues or have absent features. For example, some time ago the Ubuntu packages didn’t have collada export. Sometimes users report weird behavior, but when asked to test with official Blender package - all seems to be fine. Just thought I’d point it out :slight_smile:

Had i known it existed, then yes. Absolutely, i was looking for that solution. Thanks so much!