files from autocad 12 to blender

i promissed to help a guy with some animation work.
But now he told me he can only save in autocad 12 formats ea: dwg, dxf, wrl and stl.
I couldnt read any of his files, despite wrl and stl is supported by blender, but i dont blame blender for this. I could read stl but it didnt seam to contain mesh data

But i am just wondered how I could be of help to him, how can i convert his drawings without me or he having to buy autocad converters or so (i´m not into autocad at all), in the past with other people i helped they got autocad files somehow exported to 3ds or obj files which i then cleaned in blender and used. but 2012 seams limited or so (saw his export option 3ds or obj was not part of it),

i also tried the online model converter http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/?step=3&outfmt=3ds
which had helped me in the past but somehow it doesnt work for his drawings.

Just activate the DXF importer in the user preferences > addons. THeir are 2 of them, choose the one from Lukas Treyer. Post in the right forum pls, it’s a support question.

I enabled DXF under settings it loads the object browser shows soms data structure, but the file on 3d screen stays empty.
I guess this has something with that autocad changes their formats with any new update.
But i guess there must be ways to export their 3d data to some common accepted standards like obj or so ?

can you share the autocad file? I can see what I can here for you.

it looks like all data was imported, probably outside viewport’s boundaries. You only need to set up bigger viewport’s area settings to see the data.

I guess this has something with that autocad changes their formats with any new update.
But i guess there must be ways to export their 3d data to some common accepted standards like obj or so ?

autocad 12 produces the most common DXF format, this is the best supported DXF variant for Blender.
No other file format guarantees better completeness and precision.

You can contact me via my homepage for more support.

if model is simple might be faster to simply redo it in blender !

happy bl