Islands

Here’s something I’ve been working on, learning how to use particles. Please let me know what you think.

This looks great. The only things I would say to fix, would be to add a bit more diversity to the plants, and make them maybe a bit more exotic to fit the scent. And also the rock texture looks a little low quality for such a large scale project.

Otherwise great work!

Will

beautiful.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

This is great

I really like the color of the water, makes me want to jump into it. My only critic would be: At the moment the viewer is drawn to the center of the image but there is nothing. I would move the boat back between the rocks and give it some highlighting (maybe some caustics on the bottom of the boat). Other than that, really nice job.

Your trees seem to grow quite realistic. When I look at the surface they coming from and the angles they have, it seems quite right. But it is noticeable that they don’t have roots :wink:

Hi Jayd,

Great job! I have began to watch some tuts about ocean, and must find some other ressources to made an image as below. It’s Sugiton calanque near Marseille FRANCE.
If you could share some tuts or other ressources, I am really interested.
Keep doing!
Thanx
[email protected]

hi jayd

beautiful pic, have been following for a while.

the only thing for me is the blunt/sharp transition between the big rocks in the foreground and the misted background.

maybe soften the edges slightly or maybe try some DOF, for me this is distracting in an otherwise fantastic scene.

shaun

Nice pic. The things that seem unnatural to me (this may be wrong - I’m not a botany expert) are:

o The tall stalked bushes on the beach. I think it would be more natural to break up the particle object groups into, for example, grass, tundra, small bushes, large bushes, small trees, and large trees. Then use gradients during weight painting for those particle object groups. The beach, for example, could then go from a sparse grassy area -> small bushes up against the cliffs. The mountains could go from small bushes -> large trees on the top. (Note: Linear weight paint gradient: Alt-LMB drag. Radial weight paint gradient: Ctrl-Alt-LMB drag).

o The two large foreground rocks look a little too bushy. Also, I don’t think long-stalked bushes look natural on the rocks.

o Need more bird poop on top of the rocks. :slight_smile: And maybe birds, too?

o A crystal clear foreground and misty background looks a little unnatural. I think the foreground needs a little mist?

Nice work overall.

Here’s my first attempt at working with particles and I ran into several problems that could not be corrected. The canyon mesh was so distorted that texture errors could not be fixed. I tied DOF and mist but the results were not very realistic.

The most difficult thing I’ve found is getting the final result to look realistic instead of like a model.

Hey jid,

This would be a great image to work with.

I viewed some tutorials by CG Geek and Sardi Pax.

Good Luck!

Really great!