Barcelona Chair

Hello fellow Blender artists! I’d like to get started selling 3D models, so I’m modeling a Barcelona Chair. There seems to only be one on the Blender Market so far.XD Anyhow, this is what I have after about an hour of modeling (not counting the time spent on the one that I scrapped due to bad topology):

And the wires:

I’d love some brutally honest critiques on it, just don’t make me depressed about my lack of skill.XD

Hmmm… It don’t look right… Not right at all actually :frowning: Oh, I know… There’s no cushions :stuck_out_tongue: Add cushions, and it’ll be great! :smiley:

Cushions:

And the cushiony wires:

I also worked on the straps quite a bit, fixed the positions and whatnot.:slight_smile: Be sure to view them in full size!

Last pic before sculpting:

This is where the critiques are most important!

I think I’m finished sculpting the first cushion, here it is with a matcap and AO:

Thoughts?

The proportions look wrong for the chair, in terms of height, width, seat height, etc. This may be the camera angle or too small a camera (or view) focal length. Can you post front, top and side orthographic views so I can be sure of what I am saying? Do you have a reference image to show what you are working from as well?

I like the sculpting and cushion detail :D, but I am not sure about the shape or sections yet, maybe it is also too thin to be strong enough. I would really like to see your reference image.

Cheers, Clock.

Thanks for your reply clockmender.:smiley: I do have a modeling reference, I’m not sure if I can post it here so I’ll link to it: http://www.knoll-int.com/home/by-designer/classic-designers/ludwig-mies-van-der-rohe/barcelona-chair Here are the front, top, side ortho views:

The proportions shouldn’t be off, unless my reference was off in the first place.

Thanks, - yes it looks right, I was wrong, enough said!

Cheers, Clock.

Very nice Terrance! :smiley: Looks great! The sculpting is well done too… Inspires me to junk all those assets I made, and start over! :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, thanks.:smiley: Now I can get to sculpting the other cushion.:wink:

Thanks! Your assets are pretty good, I think the barcelona chair that you made looks a little to rounded out, especially the metal areas. The newer ones look great though.:wink:

About to start sculpting the last cushion!

Got one question though. Should I go ahead and make the foot rest? That seems to be common with a lot of barcelona chairs, I’d like some opinions please.:smiley:

Before sculpting the other cushion, I realized that the array modifier wasn’t really working with the model. There were several pieces that were out of place because they didn’t match up with the cushion perfectly. I went and applied the modifier the the pin objects and removed it from the curve objects, and starting messing around with the positions. Here’s what I have at this point:

I think it looks better now.:slight_smile:

Finished sculpting it! Unless there are some things to be modified, in that case, please point them out!

All that’s left at this point is adding some lattice deform and shading. Then it’s off to market! Looks like the attachments in my previous posts are broken, fixing them now.:slight_smile:

Okay, done working on it for today. Got the unwrapping done. Hopefully I can get a leather texture made tomorrow. Here it is:

I attempted making a leather texture, but it’s about 9:30 PM where I live so I was relying on my interior lights. You can imagine how that went.

Terrance, good job modelling. there is a good tutorial from CGMasters for modelling a Barcelona chair on youtube, maybe you already followed it. on my first try I came up with this:

For the Leather material, I’ve used following nodes:

Hope you can use it for something

Thanks.:smiley: No, I wasn’t aware of that one.

I’ll probably do something similar to that node setup, I’ll be using an image texture though.

Okay, finished the shaders:

What do you think?

Been a little while since the last update.:smiley: I’ve been kind of busy lately, so I didn’t have much time to work on this. Mostly I’ve been trying to get it ready for the Blender market. @Joey_Blendhead made this nice little scene to show the chair:

Always happy to hear some honest opinions.:smiley: