The feel of a first person shooter

I’ve been playing games like Far Cry 3/4, Battlefield etc. Which are games with lots of feel to them, and by this, I mean how the camera and animations appear to react to the input.
I have looked at the animations for the gun and camera to see how I can make a first person shooter that feels nice to play and feels realistic. The goal of this project was not to create a game that is fun in terms of a story line or has any cool features, just to isolate what makes a fps feel nice to play. The current results are promising.

So far, I have made a basic shooter which has very little to do in terms of gameplay, I’d just like feedback on what I can do to make it a game that feels good. I understand that some animations may seem a bit exaggerated.

DOWNLOADS (newest version)

Download:
BLEND FILE (~ 6MB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2czWdWk2iYBY2V3NmFFeE5kbTQ/view

2 Likes

I you making a kind of tech demo? …One thing a lot of modern FPS have, is dust/debris from where the bullet hits. Experiment making simple particle systems. Explosions etc. Also, not only muzzle flash for the gun, bun a bit of smoke too. Empty shells coming out of the gun. When you start working on the sounds, having the actual sound of the empty casings hitting the floor is a really nice touch!

Also stuff like, when you get close to a wall and the gun lifts up.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you so much!

This is very cool & smooth! I took the liberty of playing around and adding some sounds. Hope you don’t mind! Couldn’t figure out how to do the normal walk sound though without overlapping with sprint/slow.

Nice touch with the sounds! I’m thinking of trying to create a multiplayer game with this. Could be epic.

One note. Holding the gun up while running is a big nono. By tilting 30 degrees down if you accidentally fire the weapon no one gets a bullet in the side of the head. Also it’s faster to ready aim when tilted down rather than bending the elbows if you hold it up.

While you are going for a first person perspective still putting stuff like that into videogames and movies just for “show” is bad as it sends the wrong message and people, games and film accept it as fact and 10 years goes by and it stays the same. Such as first person genre hasn’t thought about revamping reloading mechanics instead of the fake system every FPS game uses. I’m rambling now but I think it might have to do with the industry staying away from the “Murder Sim” that has floated around in the media since the 90s.

Anyway the animations are fantastic! I am fond of believable animation and yes the reload animation needs to be enjoyable as you will see it constantly in game.

Thumbs up for getting the FOV right!

Holding the gun upright while running doesn’t feel good. There is something wrong about the gun not being pointed in the direction I intend to shoot. Also, not being able to shoot while running really doesn’t feel good. Unless I’m reloading or switching weapons (or out of ammo) there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be able to pull the trigger and make bullets come out of my gun.

Everything else though feels pretty good. Nice use of Ryuzikan’s script. Keep up the good work!

Side Note: Check your debug console. Whatever you have adding the scene ‘Scene.001’ is doing so on a pulse. That only needs to run once. After that, all its doing is eating processes and adding garbage to the console.

Update:

I have added sounds, this includes:
+4 Random Footstep sounds
+2 random shell casing sounds (and casing models)
+Pistol Firing sound
+Reload sounds

I have also added:
+A very temporary aiming mechanic (it’s not very good, but it means you always aim down sights instead of aim down side)
+More animations, the gun leans left and right when you walk left or right as well as down if you walk in any direction.
+Smoke to gunshots and bullet hits (looks good thanks to ThaTimst3r)
+When close to a wall, your gun moves up
+Other tweaks

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2czWdWk2iYBQ1V6dF9acElfRWM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you everybody for the feedback!

1 Like

Thumbs up for getting the FOV right!

Holding the gun upright while running doesn’t feel good. There is something wrong about the gun not being pointed in the direction I intend to shoot. Also, not being able to shoot while running really doesn’t feel good. Unless I’m reloading or switching weapons (or out of ammo) there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be able to pull the trigger and make bullets come out of my gun.

Everything else though feels pretty good. Nice use of Ryuzikan’s script. Keep up the good work!

Side Note: Check your debug console. Whatever you have adding the scene ‘Scene.001’ is doing so on a pulse. That only needs to run once. After that, all its doing is eating processes and adding garbage to the console.

Thank you! I’ll fix this for update 2

Erm, to add to the criticism talk, handguns have muzzle flip. I can’t tell if you have it, it looks like it goes straight back. Hot HK USP though.

note: I’m a gun nut. So I feel overwhelming urges to point out firearm inaccuracies. I’m real fun while watching movies :3

Here’s an ex-delta dude Larry Vickers who controls recoil so good on this 22. :wink:
Ugh, BA won’t let me insert this video, so here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00kgiEVd5Q

Thanks for the tip, I think that the animation looks much better now with the flip

Hey, this looks very professional! The recoil animation looks really good!

Well, actually this isn’t the case. In gun safety courses, they teach you to always move with your gun up (or down), and your finger off the trigger (only put your finger on the trigger when you’re ready to fire). This is to prevent any accidental misfiring.

So much nicer with random sounds!

This looks really good! I can’t wait to see more! :yes:

Of course, that is totally understandable. We are not talking about real life here though – it’s a game. All those wussy little rules and saftey regulations should go out the window, because s**t has hit the fan and it’s time to pop some skulls!(LOL) The game shouldn’t be taking away free agency in such a way because it’s ‘un-safe’, unless you’re doing a gun safety simulator or something (Police Quest?). Even then, the action should still be possible- to the detriment of the player. Just because it’s dangerous doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t still be able to do it! In my opinion, the more dangerous it is, the more the player should be encouraged to do it! Danger is fun when it’s not real!

The common theme of the thread is the ‘feel’ of the game. Locking out the primary function of the game (shooting) in that way does not feel good (to me). It’s preventing player agency in a case where it really shouldn’t be. Having the option to run around like a madman in spray-and-pray mode would feel a lot better (to me).

@Nines:

While I agree that games should grant you the free agency to do as you will, games of this nature are still meant to emulate real-life as much as possible. Those “wussy little rules” as you call them, are used by police, SWAT and military, and are designed to be utilized in stressful situations. During a time of crisis, safety regulations are most important, because the idea is to keep those who are alive, still alive.

But in the end, it is a video game, and its up to the individual developer(s) how to make their game.

Yup, back to real life. A calm shooting gallery with your mates is different than a real encounter. You want your skills to be as sharp as possible since in a real situation your nerves are going to be through the roof. That is what should be played into for more games. Rather than a robotic badbass who never makes mistakes.

Update 2!

Basic Ammo System - not finished
Ammo
Magazines
Dryfire sound

Tweaked sprint animation
Tweaked recoil animation
Improved smoke effects
Improved Muzzle Flare
Improved Shell Casing material
Improved Aiming
Added Reticle Bloom
Gun moves more when pressing W or S key
Added ability to use stairs - also easier to jump over things (can be improved)
Changed Test level

+Many more tweaks, fixes and changes

Download:
ZIP (8.22MB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2czWdWk2iYBbnRPWXU1d19SODA/view

RAR (4.87MB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2czWdWk2iYBaUY0V1NfVjRlRzA/view

Oh man, that’s cool. I love the way you did the iron sight shooting.

Any ideas on where to put the ammo counter?

1 Like