Velociraptor (in the style of JP3)

Hey everyone, something I’ve been working on for the past few days. I just recently re-did the head as a whole, as it looked a bit off. I am mainly taking inspiration from the Jurassic Park 3 raptors. I have already modeled the quills/feather like things that go on top of the JP3 male velociraptor’s heads, but I’m not sure if I’ll actually use them, so I just left them out for now. Anyway, here is the progress so far.

View 1 (Head, front)

View 2 (Body, front)

View 3 (Body, back)

Feedback would be appreciated! It’s far from finished, still have things to add (like the inner toe/claw,) stuff to tweak here and there, texturing, detailing, rigging and (maybe) animation, but for the most part the general shape is done.

Some wireframe renders, would like some feedback on my topology if possible:

I’m thinking it might be a little dense around the eye area? I could remove some of the edge loops there.

P.S Also included the quills/feathers in these renders, but didn’t bother putting a wireframe modifier on them (or the eyes) as they’re just simple cylindrical shapes, and the eyes are just UV spheres

edit: working on the mouth:

Small update:

Removed some unnecessary edge loops on the neck area and got rid of a triangle that was hiding on the piece of flesh in between the mouth. Also finished the teeth, they just need some variation in terms of position/scale, they also look a bit too needle-like, so I’ll probably thicken them a bit.

Still not so sure if I’m on the right track with the topology, so feedback on it and/or how I can improve it would be greatly appreciated. The current polycount is a bit over 18k at subdivision level 1, which will be the lower-poly version

Here is currently where I am at, still tweaking some things and about to make the tongue:
subdivision is at level 1:

another update, did some small retopology in the neck area:

where I am at right now (after tweaking the proportions of different areas a little)

at this point feedback, particularily on the topology, would be really helpful. I might give sculpting a try although I’ve never really gotten into it, if not I will most likely keep tweaking things for a while or maybe start uv unwrapping

Decided to change it up a bit and make it more resemble the Jurassic Park 1 raptors than the Jurassic Park 3 raptors.

also saved a version of the JP3 look just incase I want to switch back

First ever attempt at sculpting on the head…
didn’t exactly go as planned, infact it’s quite disastrous :smiley:

I don’t know much about dinosaurs but looks pretty good to me! hehe

What version of Blender are you using? You should give it a try to the latest build with several viewport optimizations. You could use the multires modifier and get to a pretty good resolution before it starts lagging :slight_smile:

Hi julperado,

I’m using Blender 2.75, I will look into the multires modifier, thanks

the scales are a bit too uniform, it needs more randomness in size and shapes. but it’s still looking very proimising. eager to see the final outcome.

the scales are a bit too uniform, it needs more randomness in size and shapes. but it’s still looking very proimising. eager to see the final outcome.

basically what I wanted to say

yeah, I agree on that, still kind of getting used to all the new brushes and tools that come with sculpting, so mainly it’s experimentation right now. Hopefully it (eventually) turns out how I imagine it to be :slight_smile:

Right now I’m still tweaking things with the mesh before I start the actual sculpt as well as reading about baking a normal map from the sculpt I will make and how to apply it to what I have below

I think it’s starting to shape up pretty nicely :yes:

Looks awesome! Good luck on sculpting.

update: right now I’m roughing out the wrinkles/skin detail:

Another update:

I think it’s been turning out good for my first full sculpt… but not great, so I will probably leave this as sort of a practice run-through of the whole thing, and redo it. Curious to see what others think, though. :slight_smile:

P.S - Whenever I go back into object mode and turn mirroring back on, there’s a big seam right in the middle. If anyone knows why this happens or a way to prevent it I’d appreciate if you share it here!

Here is the second sculpt attempt, still needs work and details, and the tail needs to be smoothed a bit, definitely an improvement compared to the first attempt:

currently, at multires/sub level 5, it sits at just over 1.8M faces

edit: On a side note, my laptop freezes up when I up the multires level,any higher so unfortunately this is about as detailed as it will look.

A little more work and I’ll try and make a normal map out of this and start texturing, rigging and most likely animating a lower-poly version of it :smiley:

Attachments

Update: today I’m working on the rig:

Teeth and eyes aren’t included in the rig yet, so I hid them for now

I also tweaked the head and body a little to (finally) achieve the look I was going for. Also skipped sculpting for now as I couldn’t get enough detail in to make it look good without my laptop freezing up. Maybe I’ll come back to sculpting some other time, but for now it will look as it does now, but with textures. I’m not that great at painting/texturing so I probably won’t go for a realistic texture yet. The rig still needs a lot of weight painting work/adjustments so I will be doing that today

Another update:

The rig is just about finished, only a few more things to do. I added in the eyes and the teeth to the rig. The mesh is already unwrapped, so after I finish up the rig I’ll make some textures for it, which hopefully goes well. :slight_smile:

Looking good!