BGMC 17 - The Waters of Judgement

Hello! This is the thread for my game for BGMC 17, The Waters Of Judgement. Its a survival horror game similar to older PS2 games like Silent Hill 2. It’s only going to be one level, which will have a few puzzles and some basic combat. The game will be about an evil entity living in Grey Lake, the region where the main protagonist wakes up after wrecking his car. Today I’m just going to block in the main level and do some node setup. I’ll try to post a screenshot of the project every day while the competition runs. Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone competing! :slight_smile:

Good luck, but sounds very difficult idea to accomplish in one week:D

OK, so day 1 progress (I might do a bit more work tonight)

1. Blocked out everything
  2. Made “Volumetric” Lights via a color ramp (Right now it sucks)
  3. Made a low poly model of the Church (The game’s only safe area)
  4. Made a pretty good-looking render
  5. Remixed a song under CC-BY for background music
  6. Finished the story
  7. Made super low poly car

Here are a few screenshots:

I love survival horror games , nicely done atmosphere ,keep up!!

Looks spooky! Keep going!

Hello again! Here is progress for day 2:
-Added lock/key system
-Added FPS camera (Placeholder)
-Tested the game in “solid” and “wire-frame” (My GPU is hating me right now, need to optimize the game to play with materials on :()
-Added docks
-UV mapped the church
-Added church gates
-Added Ferry Ticket booth
-Added terrain LODs
-Experimented with baking textures

Here are some screenshots:

Here are some more pictures:

Also, I

used GIMP to make a map of the region

The graphics looks wonderful. I hope I will be able to handle it on my GPU(so much spot lights).

Is that a cone mesh with “add” material? Good idea, it works well and doesn’t take much resources.

I would like to know how to do this, for enemy vision cones in my game,

will it work with a alpha texture?

Isn’t it just simple shadeless and semi-transparent? Because it looks like that…

@BPR and Adriannetlis:
Try using the additive type blending transparency, it works much better than blended transparency or sorted. You need quite a dark diffuse to get such a subtle effect though. You can combine additive alpha with blended alpha, say if a blended alpha cloud intersects a additive alpha light. But two blended alpha planes overlapping cause all sorts of horrible effects.

Yeah, all I did was create a circular color ramp in GIMP, with yellow with alpha on one end and pure alpha on the other. It looks unrealistic if you just color it yellow because the color doesn’t change at a distance as the light would diffuse in real life. I than UV mapped the cone to the alpha texture and turned off backface culling. To make it look more realistic, try blurring the texture by hand in GIMP or making it look more blurred or distorted. This effect is particularly useful in multiple texture mode because it looks like you have real lights.

Shadeless looks alright, but using emit looks better. Shameless looks too bright. If you bake textures (Like I plan to) using radiosity and glow gives a nice effect. Hope these two comments helped! (I can post a pic of the material setup later) :slight_smile:

Yes… But why shameless looks so bright? Is it because a lack of shame the person gets filled with phosphorum?:wink:

Hahaha, that’s what I get for enabling auto-correct :eyebrowlift2:.

Day number 3:
-Made rough forest visitor center
-Worked on terrain
-Added various props
-added more types of vegetation (Ferns, grasses)
-Added many different rocks
-Created terrain bounds (No longer fall into the void)
-Got angry at audio system :frowning:
-Added various environmental sounds
-Updated some materials

Here is another picture, it is the visitor center.

Sad that you didn’t finish this:(