Encuentro Guadalupe Antiresort

Hi all,

I’d like to share my latest project which I’ve been working on in my spare time for the past couple of weeks. This was inspired by the recent article on Ronen Bekerman’s website featuring the Encuentro Guadalupe Antiresort (formerly titled Endémico) by Gracia Studio, which is a hotel project located in Valle de Guadalupe, Ensenada, México. The project consists of 20 independent rooms, each 20 square metres, spread over 99 hectares of land. One of the main philosophies behind the project was to respect nature by avoiding direct interference with the land itself, and so each room is elevated by steel supports away from the soil.

I wanted to try a project that combined architecture and environment so I could try and practice both areas while attempting to keep a degree of synergy between the two, and this seemed the perfect opportunity to try this. Whether or not it’s been successful is up to you, but I had a lot of fun making it!

Modelled in Blender, rendered in Cycles and post-pro in GIMP. Textures and background from CG Textures, and rock models from VizPark.

Any questions at all just ask and I’ll be happy to answer as best I can, once my computer’s recovered from rendering all those branches…

Thanks,

Ben

References:

Attachments

And a night time version…

(I know the moon’s been dialled up to 11 on this one, was done more for effect than realism!)

The first render is great!

This looks really good! Is the background modeled or a photo?

Thanks! The background is a landscape image from CG Textures. The ambient occlusion pass below shows the scene’s geometry more clearly:

The first render has a really warm feel to it and the backgrounds are really nicely incorporated.

Did you model all of the rocks and other assets yourself? How many sorts of variants did you end up using?

Thanks very much MrJorj. Actually the rocks were the only objects I didn’t model - they all use the same model from VizPark. I made all of the shrubs using blender’s sapling generator, and made some simple single-strand objects to provide some roughness to the ground. All objects used in the scene are shown in the below image:

Really good work @FouldoBaggins!
Looking forward to see more of your work.

Thanks very much Carlos, I’m a big fan of the work you and Wire Collective have produced so that’s a great comment to receive! I’m keen to build on what I’ve learned from this project and these comments give me the confidence to share it so will post more in the near future I’m sure…

Ben