baby dragon

Here’s what I have so far. I plan to later make a bird on a branch in the top left corner, but right now I’m working on the grass. Any C&c would be appreciated.

Well, I’d say its a pretty nice model, though it feels a bit low-poly (mostly by the corner of his eyes), the main thing that could be improved would be the scene, since se sense of scale is a bit weird (the dragon kinda feels really tiny), but apart of that I say its ok.

I think the baby dragon is great. It’s cute and potentially scary at the same time - what I think a baby dragon should be. It looks a bit like clay; is that intentional? It’s make me imagine that it’s moving around in a very stop-motion clay-mation sort of way.

Thanks Phillips & David. I’m not sure why it looks low poly, since it has 762,000 faces. The dragon is supposed to be about 50 cm, (20in) long. I’ll try to indicate that more clearly. I agree, the material does look like clay. I’m planning on making a major change on the coloring and material.

I like this look, because the eyes stand out more and the teeth stand out less. Also the brown color looks more real for reptiles.

Here’s the improved material. Still not finished.

Here’s the improved material, with better moss too. I miscalculated the render time by 15 hours, and had to stop it halfway through.:stuck_out_tongue: Critiques would be well appreciated.

There is a lot of green and blue, and its supposed to be a warm scene. I’ll probably add some buttercups and other flowers, but any other suggestions on adding some warm colors would be helpful.

Not perfect, but it will work.

Here is what I already know is wrong:

1. The bird is too close to the camera for the dragon to be looking at it
  2. Not enough colour variation
  3. The yellow flower in the bottom right corner is distracting
  4. The bird’s head is turned so that it looks like it could see the dragon

Any other comments or critiques would be very helpful.

I thinks it’s just about done. I’ll probably move it to the focused critiques now, since it isn’t getting many critiques here.

Add a tree about 10 yards behind the dragon, and place the blue jay in that… That will give a sense of scale, without making you sacrifice quality by showing the flaws of the jay off… Also, a little less gloss, and more roughness to the material… Feels like metal atm… Try a little subsurf scattering as well :wink:
Make the grass smaller too… Totally throws off the scale… Should be 6" grass blades… And use a real sky :slight_smile:

Real sky (HDRI or Pro-Lighting Skies by Andrew Price [sample ones]) will help with warmth a little :slight_smile:

From now on could you comment on the focused critiques thread? Thanks anyway. The dragon is 20 inches long with the tail. That makes him about 11 inches high, which makes the grass about right, but your comment shows even more that I need a sense of scale. I’ve tried sss, and it didn’t work. I’m going for the leathery, glossy rough feel that some lizards have on there skin. I’ll try to add some more roughness to it. The blue Jay really needs to be where it is now, for the dragon to pounce on, not ten yards away, although a tree might help with the scale. Actually a stump might be better, so as not to damage the composition. I’ve been looking for a good sky for a while, and those might work, if the lighting and clouds are right
Thanks again for your critiques.

Mkay… If you say so.