2.75a: sudden "dark edges" in Edit Mode

Suddenly there are unwanted dark edges in the Edit Mode. This was sometimes the case during a modeling session where the model was in an advanced stage and the problem, if at all, was not that bad or intensified. Now it is a worse problem, even with a simple cube. I simply don’t want to see those dark edges, like it was before.

cube-w-dark-stuff.blend (443 KB)

You know, I was suddenly considering getting 3ds Max or another closed program. Can you imagine that? I don’t even want to, but I might just have to because I have no time to fool around with annoying unexpected problems. Takes out the workflow and momentum. I like Blender so much for several reasons and have enjoyed it, but if these kinds of things suddenly occur… pffff. It suddenly has become non-consistent to me and therefore unreliable.

Or maybe it’s because of some other issue. But it didn’t occur before. Why now?

Anyway, it might be a simple stupid problem. I need it solved.

Ensure the 3d view clip distances are at their defaults (0.1 to 1000 blender units).

Don’t have extreme ranges, don’t have very very small or very very large scenes

Thanks, Richard. Very much appreciated.

Why is it, by the way, that this clip distance setting influences the view like that? Should it be so? I would expect it wouldn’t give a problem.

In simple terms, it controls the precision used to determine whether a pixel is in front or behind of another pixel.

Hmmm, I see. Well, thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.