How much memory can blender support while using Multiresolution in sculpt mode?

I have been using zbrush, the previous version didn’t allowed to use more than 4 GB RAM, new version supports 64 bit.

But blender already supports 64 bit, so If I subdivide using the multi resolution modifier in sculpt mode, how much memory can blender use without crashing or slowing down? I have 12 GB RAM. Can it use more than 4GB RAM?

I am getting smooth levels in view port at subdivide 8 or 9, but at 9 level view ports starts getting a bit laggy.

It is quite possible the render results might be very different with what I see in view port, but I need to know exactly how much memory blender is using with it so I can keep track of the polygons and memory while working. Is there an option for that just like in Zbrush?

in the screenshot below it is showing to use only 256 mb when my view port starts lagging in sculpt mode with 9 subdivisions.

Can it use more than 4GB RAM?
Yes as long as you use the 64bit versions of blender. Itcan use as much memory as you have available. However your object may become too laggy to work with before you reach that limit. ZBrsuh and blender are too different applications so don’t assume they behave the same

If you want to see how much memory blender is using just use your OS system monitor

Thanks @Richard Marklew

Why the object gets laggy if memory is not a problem? I am using quadro graphic card with 12 GB RAM. So why the lagginess, is it my system or blender cannot handle it?

Zbrush is getting complicated with every new version with added learning curve. Before I switch to blender I am testing it out on my system.

use zbrush for sculpting.

also, its not lagging because of the RAM, its the prosessor. you can set it to use the GPU but im not sure if that works on sculpting and viewport in general, as far as i know you can only use your GPU for rendering, all though i might be wrong.

as to why its lagging, every time you edit something, or rotate in the viewport, your computer has to calculate where every polygon that changes its position.

that is why it gets more laggy the longer you draw.
[video]https://i.gyazo.com/59f1750710293b43f15e4434439abe67.gif[/video]

Its most likely lagging because blender uses openGL to draw the viewports, and this becomes very slow with high polycounts. Blender is pretty good for sculpting but with really high fidelity meshes it becomes less and less useful.

Multires sculpting performance should be noticeably improved in Blender 2.76 due to viewport optimizations.

Also, make use of the option in the multires modifier that allows you to save the information to disk, I believe in this case it will also optimize things a bit since it will only update the sections being painted on.

I googled that question a while back,

Richard once again is correct,

Zbrush does not in any way shape or form act like blender

Zbrush does not track the location of every vertex so it will have a higher memory threshold

Blender, by necessity needs to track the location of every vertex(because it’s not exactly sculptris or Zbrush)

tl’dr, Zbrush is called “2.5 D” for a reason