CUDA error out of memory with default scene

I recently was prompted by After Effects to upgrade my CUDA driver (this was a few weeks ago) and ever since that I have not been able to render even the most basic scenes. Even with nothing in the scene but the camera whenever I try to render I get this message: “CUDA error: Out of memory in cuMemAlloc(&device_pointer, size)”. There is no way I am out of memory in a scene with nothing in it. I am running OS X 10.9.5 with Blender 2.75a. I have updated the CUDA drivers to version 7.0.64 and am rendering on a GT 650M. I have tried deleting a reinstalling Blender but that didn’t change anything. Any ideas?

In recent versions, the kernel size has exploded quite a lot. If you’ve only 1 GB of VRAM, it’s quite possible you have too little to use CUDA altogether.

There is supposedly a fix in the works, but at the moment, going forward, it’s safe to assume 2GB is the minimum to actually make use of CUDA.

Really? That seems rather weird. I do only have half a gig of VRAM though so that’s not very much. At least on this machine the CPU is about as fast as the GPU so I guess I’ll just use that then.

CUDA is currently using about 600MB of additional vRAM (compared before 2.73) with any scene:
https://developer.blender.org/T43310

Oh wow, that’s quite a bit! Thanks for the info