Humanoid head (Lazy Mode)

Hi, I just wanted to share with you some wip images of this work I’im doing in my (rare) spare time.
Modeled in an afternoon in zbrush and working on the shader and textures in cycles and zbrush.

(latest update):

Wip shader node tree and closeup!

Attachments

Update with some mior skin details (veins and imperfections) and eyes, Every eye is made by two pieces, Iris inner sphere, and outer sclera and cornea sphere, you can see the shader trees in the images, the iris diffuse texture is just a grayscale map, colored via shader, so I can change the colour in blender. The outer sclera and cornea spheres don’t cast shadows so i don’t need caustics to see the iris inside and I can reduce the noise.

Attachments

Here are the node trees for the eyes

Attachments

Eyes shape and shader tweaks:

Attachments

Nice, the shader is looking very fleshy. Good work!

Very interesting and disturbing work here.
The eyes shader is pretty convincing, I need to study this.

The nose hole are bit too abrupt I think but the whole artwork is very nice

Thanks, I think it’s a must to have the iris contour and sclera overall colour to be tweakable at shader level, so I don’t have to go back and forth between texturing and rendering.

Added some freckles details to the skin and some tears details around the eyelids edge (touching the eyebulb)

Attachments

Eyebrows and eyelashes test, with basic hair shader.

Attachments

Uptate, finished eyebrows and eyelashes and tweaked the skin shader.

Attachments

Great piece! Congrats.
I like the silhouette, and the balance between primary and secondary form and tertiary details. Well done.

I kind of dig the skin tone in the older renders. Is it the AO Pass/DirtyVertex/SkinPores that is stronger maybe. Overall, I feel the old render was more subtle.

Very good eye 0rAngE, there is an overlay bump on the diffuse, and it’s stronger on this render, It looked too subtle to me in the older renders, this is not the final render yet btw!

Thanks for the comment.

Having some fun with blender grooming tools, is there a way to slightly inbed (I mean offset inside the surface) the hairs into the emitter (without having to create a scalp geometry and shrinking it, i hate doing that!)

Attachments

This looks great.

I don’t remember having this offset for the hairs ever. A maybe silly question would be, whether this changes if you tick “use modifier stack” in the hair system under emission?

Good tip, but there are no modifiers on my mesh. The problem is that the children scatter radius is quite large, and in simple mode they are scattered around the base hair on a plane that is tangent to the emitter, so if there is a slight curvature, they float. It would be great to have a negative starting time to inbed the hair into the emitter surface!

I eventually fixed the issue with a separate geometri for the emitter, with a little negative uniform displacement. Please view full resolution render by clicking on the image.

Attachments

Designing the armor in zbrush + dynamesh…

Attachments

Shading the armour with just procedural, no uvs nor painting (except for the fabric part).

Some screenshots to show a little bit of the workflow…