Supermarine Spitfire

Hi Guys!
So this is my first post in here! I’ve started modelling a Submarine Spitfire since i really like the plane. First off, here is the best rends I’ve gotten of the plane, including a wireframe rend. (The colors are not final, obviously :P):

Right now some of my challenges are the holes on the wingtips and the “ballooniness” of the nose-cone, but I’d really appreciate Your criticism and whatever you might have to add :slight_smile:

Looking good so far. Which version of the Spitfire are you making? This looks like a late war variant with the Griffon engine so I’m guessing like a Mk XVIII perhaps? You’ll still need to add in the air coolers underneath the wings but you probably already knew that. Also if it is a Griffon engined Spit, there are meant to be some protrusions on top of the nose where the engine just couldn’t quite fit into the cowling.
It’s difficult to tell from the renders but maybe make the canopy a little taller too. Looks slightly short but that could just be the camera angle.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the spinner though. I don’t see much “ballooniness” going on, so keep going :smiley:

Plane looks good so far…btw, it’s Supermarine Spitfire.

Thank you for the answer! I’m working off of some blueprints of the Mk XIV. I do still need to model the engine-compartment with the exhaustpipes. And yeah, I also need the aircoolers under the wings.
Regarding the canopy/cockpit, I still have a lot work to do. I do consider modelling the entire cockpit, although it seem like a really timeconsuming job to make in a satisfying manner.

Here’s a closeup of the nose. It probably shows what I mean. It’s not too bad but I’d love a way to fix it, since it’s a problem I have several places on the model.

Hmm been there - done that!

You have tris (three sided polygons) at the tip of the spinner and you have used a Sub-div modifier, you will always get these creases if you do that. To avoid it you can do one of two things I know of:

1. Get rid of the last centre vertex of the spinner, then extrude and scale down the last edge loop until it is minutely small and you cannot see it at this scale - you will then not have tris and hence no creases, but you will have a tiny hole at the tip.

2. To really get it right - do the above then fill the end hole with small Quads (four sided polygons) - these can be flat it, does not matter since the sub-div will round them out. You can do this by selecting various edges and when you have three joining ones selected and a gap between the first and last vertex, key F to fill them this will produce a quad. You can also select two opposing edges and key F to make a quad.

In short - get rid of all tris when using a sub-div modifier and you will not have any creases.

Cheers, Clock.

PS - Please edit your first post in Advanced mode (this allows you to edit the title) and call it a “Supermarine Spitfire” - they never made an underwater version of this aircraft!

You might find the photos in this link useful:

http://www.sepsy.de/raf-spitfire-mk14.htm

Cheers, Clock.

Okay, so I’ve messed around with the modelling and with all the edge-loops I’ve made, there are a lot of places with weird clusters of vertices in the ends and it also gives some wavy topology (if that’s the word?) on the surfaces that should be blank. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix or better this?

Also, where the back of the wing meets the body I’m not really satisfied with the way the two components meet. I don’t really know why, but I do think that there could be improvements :slight_smile:

You have way too many vertices in there and bunched edge loops! You need to cut back severely on your edge loops, and make better use of the Sub-division modifier. I usually, for a plane fuselage, start with a cylinder derived from a circle of no more than 16 vertices, then add the sub-div and start extending, scaling, etc wit ha mirror modifier. The object here is to make the model as accurate as possible with the least number of vertices. The more you have - the more creasing and bumps you will get. If you find Jonathan Williams plane tutorials on www.cgcookie.com (they only cost about 12 dollars, I seem to remember) you will find the ideal way to build a plane mesh, including how to create “islands” in the mesh (I key in EDIT mode) and then extrude these out to get wings, etc. Also you will learn how to cut holes and make sharp edges. I don’t work for or get paid by JW for endorsing his products, but it is one hell of a good starting point for this kind of modelling.

Next on the learning list is Witold Jarworski’s “Virtual Airplane” series, just search t’internet for it - that will give you all the very finest detail and advanced techniques. I bought his books before I started my Canberra project (here in the WIP somewhere, I have shelved it for now but will return to it later.).

I hope you will see this post as positive feedback and not be discouraged - plane building is fairly straight forward, once you have the principles in place, and JW’s or Witold’s books are a very good starting place to refine your techniques.

Cheers, Clock.

Thank you so much, that’s the reason I posted it here! I usually get discouraged when I working on projects since I get stuck like this, so having someone to help and guide me is really great! I’ll take a look at the links you’ve sent and try to make some improvements to my plane! :slight_smile: