Absolute grid-snapping and auto-offset make the 2.76 Node Editor a dream to use

As someone who likes my stuff to line up neatly (angle of mouse pad to angle of desk, etc) the simple ability to have all nodes adhere to the grid is deeply satisfying. Sometimes the little things are the big things. Just want to shout out a thanks to whoever implemented these new features! It makes the Node Editor feel more solid and just …feels right.

Don’t forget the auto-node offset :slight_smile:

Now if we can just have more of these small things in the other Blender windows (I might’ve counted the widgets branch but that would be classified as a major usability improvement rather than a minor one, still good though).

I haven’t tried the latest release yet – does the grid snapping work in 3 dimensions?

Yes, there is now an option for absolute grid snapping for scene editing in the 3D view.

Fantastic. I’ve been waiting for over ten years for this. Thank you

Classic! :wink:

That’s just what we need - a three-dimensional node editor. :rolleyes:
Because following YouTube tutorials for complex node setups in the present 2D isn’t challenging enough.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about the 3D viewport, not being sarcastic. Never mind. :slight_smile:

Adding a third dimension might allow for some interesting and innovative concepts that no one has tried before in a UI, but would people like to work in such an environment and could it bring enough advantages to be worth completely rewriting the editor?

Actually I don’t really understand how the new Absolute Grid Snapping works in the 3D Viewport - wasn’t it always “absolute” in that once on the grid you will always move in grid increments (when the increment type is set to “Grid”)?

Looking at the interface it seems there is a new item: “Increment” and then it has a Grid button next to it. But I can still snap in grid increments without enabling this button, which is why I’m confused.

The developer thread actually had a bit of debate over whether to put that in the snap menu or to the side.

Users who commented seemed to agree with the idea that this is the best solution, I guess it may not be possible to satisfy all opinions here.

I’m not dissatisfied with it, I just don’t know what it does - since the snap-to-grid functionality appears to be present regardless of whether the button is pressed or not. :slight_smile:

Move an object in between the grid lines, at a random position, and then try both options to see the difference.

Increment snaps with a relative offset. So if you have something at position 1.2, it’ll snap to 2.2, 3.2, 4.2, etc.

Absolute means it actually snaps to the grid regardless of its initial offset. So if you have something at position 1.2, it’ll snap on 2.0, 3.0, 4.0.

Got it! Makes all the sense in the world now. Thanks for clarifying!

So it’s essentially just like doing Snap Selection to Grid and then moving in snapped grid increments. But with one less step.

Edit: Ah! Except that with Snap Selection to Grid it will snap all three X,Y,Z axes, whereas with Absolute Grid Snapping you can constrain the snap to a single axis (or omit a single axis), giving you more control.