Vortex with outwards flow

I’m wanting to create a fire simulation where the flames start at the bottom, then whirl up like a tornado or perhaps a whirlpool is more accurate. The problem I’m encountering is that the vortex always pulls inwards, but I want it to spiral outwards. If you look at the file, you can see that I’ve tried using a force to push the fire outwards. I would have expected setting the vortex to a negative inflow would do it, but no. Any pointers?

Attachments

FireTwister1.blend (499 KB)

in the simulation options for the vortex there are to important settings, strength and inflow. strength determines how fast the vortex spins, while inflow determines how long it takes for particles to be pulled to the center. but if inflow is negative it allows the particles to become farther and farther away from the center, making a tornado.

hope this is what you where looking for.

I’ve tried this and it doesn’t seem to work. With particles, it goes inwards first and then seems to deflect outwards afterwards. With the flames, it goes straight inwards and then lifts as starts spinning, but always inwards, regardless of whether the inflow is negative or not.

Firetwister3 on dropbox
Here’s a couple settings tweaks, maybe closer to what you want. Gravity very low, one vortex and turbulance. In the smoke flames setting the ‘speed’ paramter is very important, setting it really low (.1) will make the flames jump out far, also increasing temp difference makes a more ferocious flame. Higher resolution, and adaptive domain enabled. Anyways here is 8 seconds:

maybe turn down the gravity effect on the particles, go to particles, field weights, gravity down to zero.

hope you can get this working and looking super awesome.

Yes, that’s more like it.
A few more tweaks to get the exact look I want, but that’s much better. Thank you.