How Do You Import a "Collada" File?

For some reason, I cannot get that to work. I go to File>Import, select “Collada”, select the appropriate file, and hit “Import”. But, nothing happens. No objects, no materials, no nothing. What am I doing wrong? I am using Blender 2.73.

On a side note, is there a way to import OBJ files, that include materials and/or UV maps? Any time I try to import an OBJ that is no more than plain gray, I get a nasty error message.

For some reason, I cannot get that to work. I go to File>Import, select “Collada”, select the appropriate file, and hit “Import”. But, nothing happens. No objects, no materials, no nothing. What am I doing wrong? I am using Blender 2.73.
First try the current version of blender
Check outliner to see if it has imported anything but you are not seeing it in the viewport
Supply an example file for testing

On a side note, is there a way to import OBJ files, that include materials and/or UV maps? Any time I try to import an OBJ that is no more than plain gray, I get a nasty error message.
Ensure the .mtl file correctly points to any maps.

Thanks Richard. With your suggestion on the object file, I was able to troubleshoot the problem. The .mtl file was pointing to the correct image. However, it seems “Cycles” cannot read such materials. Luckily, in this case, the UV map DID import! So, I was able to simply create a new node shader, to read the image.

As for the Collada file, no objects appeared in the outliner, when I tried to import. Do you still want me to post a copy of that file, so that you can check it for problems? Would I also need to include the .mtl file?

That is correct as indicated in the importer/exporter documentation.
The importer supports: (note all settings from blender render materials)

Materials

• Color: diffuse, specular, ambient.
  • Shader settings: shininess, transparency, emit.
  • normal shading / shadeless / no-specular.
  • textures for diffuse, specular, ambient, alpha, translucency, bumpmap, hardness.

The obj format is basic so why expect it to support complex node systems.

As for the Collada file, no objects appeared in the outliner, when I tried to import. Do you still want me to post a copy of that file, so that you can check it for problems? Would I also need to include the .mtl file?
Of course. Where did the dae file come from. What application created it