My Scene

Currently I am just trying to make something that looks visually appealing for a game.

I was just looking for suggestions on how to make this look nicer, I plan on adding trees, pictures on the wall, books, food. Etc. I am not really looking for what to add, I am wondering how everything looks so far, based on lighting, texture, overall modeling, and effect .

Thanks for any help

Fredstash

Edit: does anyone know how to edit the poll, I had a typo?

I added some more assets, I am hoping to get some information on what I can improve.

Thanks for viewing

Fredstash

My opinion? IT looks good other than the super shiny parts (to much specularity) if your going for low poly. If your trying to be realistic? You’ve got a long way to go.

I kinda just want to know if everything fits together well. and I will reduce specularity.

work on the lighting a bit

About the specularity - you should use following principal:
If you use Cokk-Torrance or Phonh or Blinn, than you want to set hardness and intensity proportionally. Something like: if intensity is 0.1, than hardness is 20, if intensity is 0.5, than hardness is 100, if intensity is 1.0, than hardness is 200.
Or the begginer friendlier and more physically accurate way is wardiso shader where you just play around with the slope and don’t touch intensity;)

The real question is: what style are you going for.
Yes they fit together, but it doesn’t look stylized or realistic or artistic. They are all the same level of … medeocrity.

How could you improve it:

• Make it realistic (caution, really hard and time consuming)
  • Make it stylized (don’t use realistic textres, eg toon shaded)
  • Make it artistic (don’t use realistic anythings, go for ‘feel’)

There’s a lot of textures in this scene that stretches and things that should be smooth shaded that aren’t such as the book and the bed. In some places it seems like your doing very lowpoly, like the bed an other at a more average level like the stones. So far I think the best part of the scene is the fireplace, but I think there’s a normalmap or that the ground is very low-res that makes it unfitting with the rest of the scene.

I would say that a try make it more interesting by adding textures that aren’t stretches, like the wood of the house (right now it’s sort of a mess). Another thing that makes things more appealing is asymmetry and small details. Below is a quick how it could look if you follow some of the advices.

In this scene I used colored the overall lightning a bit blue to make the yellow color from the fire get more attentions (since they are opposite colors that works well). I also added some small spikes and extrudes from the ground plane to make some of the wood standing out to make it a bit more fun to look at. Keep going and I’ll promise you’ll make progress!

Thanks for all of the help I will start trying to incorporate these things that you guys have suggested. As soon as I have time I will spend it on improving what I have.

Have you ever used the edge split modifier?
It can make some edges sharp while others remain smooth.

Using it on the book can make the pages look rounded but have the edges of the book sharp.

Try using normal-maps or bake textures to get a more realistic asmotphere, if thats what your looking for…?
You may spend more time on the modelling as well, other than that it all looks like a good start :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the help so far here are the results- I hope these are closer to par

I did some edge splits and smooth shading (the light seems too bright, also I don’t have a good image of the bed right now but I hope it looks a little better)

Overall I think these suggestions have definitely improved it. Also I don’t know how to deal with Normal Maps or Baking, so any insight would be nice.

I will continue making props and fixing problems.

Thanks for all of the help, thoughts on the new and improved look are welcome.

Fredstash

P.s if its terrible don’t be afraid to tell me

I added some more stuff to his room
-Chair
-Map
-Compass
-Telescope
-Window

Here is a better picture of the bed.

I haven’t had much activity, or much time to work but here is a .Blend if anyone wants to take a look (it’s just move with WASD, space and mouse look, also walk into the ladder to climb)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7YN1w1IyXTMQ0pudzItWk9ubFE/view?usp=sharing

I’ve took a took at the scene and the models have done a great improvement that’s more fun to look at! Except some strange places were the edges are splitter where it should be a smooth surface (creates a creed), other than that I think the modelling is done and that the next step is UV-mapping and texturing. (Look at my previous post in this threat). Nice to see improvements!

normal mapping and baking is a pretty multifarious topic,
so you might find basic informations about the process here:

http://joeyspijkers.com/t_normalmapping.html

and a lot of basic information + tool - links here:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map

there are also a few videos about baking normals in blender on youtube.

beside these informations, there is also an interesting normal map template for blender from Matt DesLauriers, which can be used to create random patterns, maybe interesting to play with: https://github.com/mattdesl/lwjgl-basics/tree/master/tools/blender-normals

cheerio

Thanks for all of the help this gives me some major things to work on. And @deeempa89 do you have any examples of the badly smoothed surfaces you explained

For one: The candle has one open edge that gives it a hard edge. They aren’t connected. :slight_smile:

I tried a normal map- I am looking for feedback about it (It is only on the ground, I found a free normal map generator right here http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/)

Also I did fix some of the shard edges that I found around (Including the candle and the treehouse)

Try making the normal maps less intense. And you might also try adding specular maps (what you can use most times is a tiling black and white cloud texture) helps to make materials look better. Also you might want to add 2d filters like bloom and ao.
This will also make the scene look more appealing.