Silent Hills Corridor [BGE Graphics Showcase] Download

Hey I created this Corridor in the BGE and thought I would share it.

Download now

Maybe this can be the “BGE is not that bad” showcase :smiley:

About the scene:
Actually it started with me trying to recreate the look of PT Silent Hills in the Blender Game Engine, and also ended with that. I wanted to create a game out of it, but sadly I can´t really do that, because I think I hit the maximum of usable node materials and lamps :D. Still I think it delivers a nice atmosphere.

Feel free to leave feedback down below.

Yeah… How do you handle so high resolution variance shadows real-time?

I too keep copies of Mona Lisa to decorate my hallways.

BRS, this is amazing and beautiful. But also pants-crappingly terrifying. I almost peed myself when that bound up guy appeared in front of the hallway. Nice work.

How did you get the blue artifacts around the lights working? (the “lens flare”)

@Thatimster: I used martinshs lensflares for that.

@adrians: I handle them with my gtx 970. The scene is quite framerate heavy.

Aww… What a card…:slight_smile:

Did you reduce the number of materials?I looked that up on this websight.

Excellent work, I like the Silent Hill games, especially 1 and 2:)

This is great! The shadows are awesome.

One thing that would make it more impressive (in my opinion) would be to let this be third person with a detailed character.

the movie is mindblowing. i have to check how the download runs on my dual core 2.3 ghz system

I couldn’t play this on my other machine so almost gave up on it. But then took it to another machine with a relatively new graphics card and OM FREAKING GOD. This is beyond amazing and very very well executed. I always wanted to play, playable teaser and the recent alison road but alas no playstation.

This is five stars, top row stuff. Obviously not an original concept but, hey. Wondering if I should stick with BGE or move to unreal engine. Really wondering if it is worth the extra effort learning unreal engine.

I’d remove or edit the youtube video, it is kind of a spoiler but even so I jumped hard.

Also how do you pick stuff up, and is there an end?

yeah, if you could work 100% from a atlas,
and we could batch the render calls, the bge could look better then most new games without hitting the frame rate too hard.

that plus a dynamic lamp managment system

another nice one is a scene manager, that rolls through all marked objects
but not all in 1 frame, applying LOD to logic (setting states)

I second what @BluePrintRandom had suggested, plus combine the use of occluder(if you’re not already using one) should drastically help improve the game’s performance, batching can be done by parenting objects that are using same material and texture atlas with python on the fly and removing/unparent them when they’re out of view but since the game will mainly takes place indoor, that may not be necessary with python as you can parent them(static objects) before the game starts

Edit: I was mistaken that batching can be done with setParent, it can’t, I’m sorry

This is a great work, I know you probably won’t develop this further at the moment but I still think you should continue on from time to time and place it on steam eventually, you know how disappointed everyone was when Konami pulled P.T away??? It’d be awesome if you decided to fill in the void left behind :eyebrowlift2:

I did not know that batching could be done with parenting and unparenting.Does it work with materials as well as textures?

Very impressed! Have you used baked textures?

@nilshala, no I don’t think he used baked textures but all the filters and lighting makes it very believable. It makes me think though if the op did bake out the textures it really would be close to the type of realism seen in the alison road game. I love the way the spot lights cascade shadows up the wall.

I’ve been studying the blend file rather closely. Off topic but does unity and unreal set no such limitations with the number of texture slots, that might also be another reason to develop games outside of BGE I just don’t like the idea of programming something with c#, javascript (unity) lol

The Unity 5 standard shader is fairly limited in how you can use your textures, so you’re usually going to be forced to get creative with your texture map creation. Or you can just use Substance.
UE4 however has a node based material system, similar to the Blender cycles renderer.

Can you put out an exe for download? BEcause for some reason, my blender can’t run it.