Import fbx file from 3ds max without triangulation

Hi! I needed to import several model to Blender, exported from 3ds max. I use fbx format becouse preserves distinct objects, instancies etc (it is the same with collada format). But when I import to Blender (2.76) it triangulates the meshes, even if the triangulate option in the fbx exporter is unchecked. If I re-import those model to 3ds max again, they are not triangulated. So the problem seems to be in the Blender importer. There is no option about it in the import panel.

Anyone knows how to solve this or if this is a known problem? Thanks!

(of course I can detriangulate the imported models, but this takes time and should lead to unexpected results)

That is strange. I import fbx from Max all the time and it works decently. Try a different format like collada or obj and check if this has the same problems.

Good to know that for someone it works. Would you tell me what fbx exporter version you have and what are the settings? And what the settings for the blender importing? What version do you use? Thanks a lot!

(strange, I can’t see my answer in the forum thread list. I try with this just to see what happens)
Good to know that for someone it works. Would you tell me what fbx exporter version you have and what are the settings? And what the settings for the blender importing? What version do you use? Thanks a lot!

There is nothing particular.

• 3ds Max 2016
  • It used to work with 2011 as well.

In exporter dialogue:

Geometry Menu:

• Smoothing Groups
  • Tangents and Binormals
  • everything else is turned off

FBX File Format Menu.

• Type: Binary
  • Version: FBX 2014/2015

Blender Import:
Main:

• Import Normals
  • Import Animation
  • Imprt User Properties
  • Import Enumgs As Strings
  • Image Search
  • Decal Offset: 0.00
  • User Pre/Post Rotation

That´s it.

uhm, I had to install the max 2016 trial to get a working exported file. So it seems to be a matter of the fbx exporter. is it possible to have 2016 fbx exporter on max 2012?

EDIT: no, it seems more a matter of what version of max was used to create the geometry. Very strange!

Seems like a common trouble, so a necropost to clarify it :slight_smile: :

Max refers to objects as either Editable Meshes or Editable Polys. Editable Meshes are triangulated Ed. Polys. Ed. Polys can have information about edge direction, important for face draw order (from which corner is it being drawn), Ed. Meshes can not.
Unchecking ‘Preserve edge orientation’ will prevent Max from converting Polys to Meshes and triangulating them in the process, so quads will get exported.

I use 3dsmax 2018 during export and Blender 2.83 and this worked fine with no triangulation