Bb-8

Started working on this from the few shots that are out, (I’m sure I wont be the last :slight_smile: )
The practical model they used seems to have the detail painted on but there are a few shots with detail and panels.

I panelled mine, going to see film before uv unwrapping ad texturing + I want to see how the lights work in the film I was going to put them behind the grey panels and make them scuffed up glass but will see.

Not exactly low polly but wanted it smooth and not much choice on a sphere :slight_smile:

I think I have the basics and proportions, would be interested if anyone notices anything bad I’ve screwed up before I go much further.

UV unwrapped, textured and materials, need turn some of the lights off :slight_smile: but wanted to get them all in there.

Really nice + realistic render. I like the reflections on the camera lens :slight_smile:
The surface of the robot in the final render looks very nice cause its used.
I don’t think there are too much lights but you could add a more or less simple ground plate, while the black, empty background fits perfectly.

Add a rim light dude, it’s begging for some sexy shimmer to glimmer off the body.

Seriously though this looks nice, your textures/materials look pretty awesome.

I would love to know how you were able to get the sphere topology for the main ball. It’s like a UV sphere but with a pole at every orthogonal angle.

It took me a while to figure it out but it was actually really easy in the end

Get a cube subdivide it loads and make is a sphere this is the target for the shrink wrap.

Get a circle with enough verts to let it deform nicely align the centre of the circle scale it then project shrink wrap it to the sphere this is the basis for all the circular bits. Apply shrink wrap set origin to be the same as the sphere mirror it around the sphere so you have one on each side i.e. 6 circles like they were on a cube.
Now the gap you have left in between them is that nice shape and you can just duplicate the corresponding verts from each circle where 3 join together, separate by selection join them up now you have a template for that shape in between. mirror that around, fill everything in as needed add thickness and you have nice smooth panels to start working with.

(or you could fake it with normal maps and paint it :slight_smile: )

Looking Good!

Thanks for the help! This really is a really neat shape. I needed something like this for the hydrazine tank on a rocket engine I’m working on.

I much improved my initial topo: