Talons Reach Fx400 update #2

Okay I’m almost finishing up with my wipeout project

So I’m hoping you guys could tell me what’s wrong with it
Without colour

With colour

I am not an overly sensitive 15 year old girl, I’ll take what ever criticism you have

What’s different? Well the camera is in a different location

Note that the explosion isn’t final(it’s sloppy photoshop work)
And neither is the zoom blur

The scope of the scene is different too, I’m basically looking to recreate this

Well, to be honest I can’t really tell what it is, but that might just be me. If you could explain I might be able to tell you how to make that more clear, although I know part of it is that the foreground is hard to tell from the background. Maybe some change in color or focal-blur would help. The color scheme is also sort of ugly.

@GPS

Yeah I also got that feeling too just right after I rendered it I decided to re render it with motion blur, I forgot to unrestrict renderability for one of the ships though,
Uploading the corrected version now

The composition is a little lacking, I’d like to see more of the track. right now it looks like the two craft are just sitting in a blurry garage. Maybe one of them is clipping the edge of the track and sparks are flying off the tip of the wing.

Tell more of a story with the image. right now it just reads as two ships hovering side by side in a non-descript background

@Sterling
Yeah I guess more story would help but I’m not so sure about how to make the background more interesting,

In the original game it’s an worn out, badly maintained industrial area

but I guess there’s no harm on trying

Got it

Found a better spot, and it was so obvious I don’t know why I didn’t think of it in the first place,
Near the finish line, instead of some garage
change the camera angle and the scale of the scene

so the subject can actually be the environment rather than some sloppily modelled ship

Okay… Still working on that “better spot” but for now…

Much better, more dynamic! I’d advise trying to make the vehicles pop more from the background. maybe add some lights, or a little bit more contrasting colors to the vehicles to help separate them. between the explosion and the blur it’s hard to see where track ends and ship begins.

This is great work and I think with some tweaking you’ll nail it :slight_smile:
so, here’s my two pennies worth:

1. Use motion blur only on the scene, not the ships. If you do have to add motion blur to ships only do it one, the furthest one away (this will help keep focus on the foreground ship and add some contrasting dynamics).
  2. The main ship (the one on the left, larger one) should be in focus with no motion blur. This will be the main piece of the scene and the clarity will make it pop against the blurred background.
  3. As already mentioned above, the background needs to be a complimentary element to the ships, so think about complimentary colors and mood lighting.
  4. Don’t crop off the main ship! It should be shown in its entirety, so it remains visually strong and has a presence. Perhaps make it a little larger and raise it up further in the scene so it’s making a powerful “stance” in mid air.

Looking forward to seeing more updates :slight_smile:

Well it was more well received than I thought it would be, thanks guys

I’ll work on the motion blur and improve the lighting when I get my 8 GB ram stick.